Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All, I have a 120 Gallon tank with an eheim 2217. I ran my for a couple of days using seachem stability as per the instructions. So off I go down to the aquarium store and purchased 4 very small cichlids. During the next course of the week I had a bacterial bloom and had seen the ammonia spike, nitrite spike followed by nitrate’s showing up on the API test kit. Everything went back down to zero within a couple of days, and then the Ammonia started to rise.

I went back to the aquarium a couple of weeks later and informed him that I had ammonia readings of 2 to 4 ppm. I was asked if the fish were stressed, to which I replied no as they are not on the top gasping for air ECT. I was then told to feed very lightly and to not worry about it and to let the filter do its work.

The following week, I took a sample of water into the store and got them to check it, it was at about 4ppm. I was asked if I was using Prime with my water changes which I am. Again, I was told not to worry about it, so I asked if I could purchase some more fish...left with another 2 fish. This went on for about 2 months, the last visit I was told not to touch the water for 1 month and to add a little prime.

Now I have done the calculations in regards to ammonia, PH and water temperature and found that 17% of my ammonia is harmful, and at 4ppm it’s about 34%.

So here I am with 16 fish (they do seem very happy), most of them are about 2 to 2.5 inches. Below is my setup and other details;

My filters were new; the carbon filter was removed two weeks after the setup. The 2228 was introduced 1 month ago and was brand new; i used seachem stability again to speed things up.

450 litre tank â€"Cichlids with no plants or live rock.
Eheim 2217(since tank was setup) and a 2228(running for 1 month)
PH 8.2, temp is 80 Fahrenheit
Ammonia is 2 to 4ppm, Nitrite is 0 and Nitrate is 15ppm

Any help would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
586 Posts
do a big water change, and add some ammonia detoxifier. Whoever told you not to change the water has no idea what they are talking about. The bacteria likely bloomed because you did not let the tank cycle enough before you put fish in it. If you let the tanks run for about a month before you add the fish, and add bacteria supplement you shouldn't have a problem in the future.
The answer to just about any water quality problem is pretty much to do a water change. Weekly water changes are a necessity for ca\sa cichlids, about 25%. Keep the carbon in the filters, too - or they won't clean anything.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Okay, thanks for the reply and the information.
I'm sure my tank has cycled as I did see spikes in ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate.
I removed my fake rocks and did a good gravel clean which resulted in a 25% water change. The ammonia is now at 2ppm.
Should I do maybe 15% water changes daily to get the ammonia down?

Any help here would be great.

Thanks in advance.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.