Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi There.

I just joined this forum as I would really appreciate some advice on a situation I'm having with one of my Severums.

I noticed a few months ago a small split in his tail fin (?) .. or just tail?... anyway it grew. It start off as a little hole, then the tail split in half and it started to travel inwards towards the body of the fish. All other fish in the 150 gallon are perfectly fine, no water issues at all, all good.

I felt bad for this guy and wanted to medicate him to help his fin regrow. I have had him on his own in a 20 gallon for 3 weeks. I've used up 4 packets now of API Fin & Body cure .... doing 50% water changes every 2 days - but it's not helped at all.

I've added some aquarium salt and now I'm using API Melafix - but still no sign of the tail recovering.

Has anyone ever seen this before? What should I do next?.

He hasn't eaten the whole time he's been in this hospital tank, would it be better to just put him back in the 150 and keep the water perfect as normal, at least there he is eating !!

Attached 2 pictures, which for some reason have turned sideways.

Help please!

Thanks.
Harry.

Attachments

·
Registered
221 Posts
It's had a chunk bitten out of its tail fin (the tail is the part of the body in front of the fin). When it's that far down it doesn't always grow back.

Edit... as you say it happened gradually it could be fin rot...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the reply! I've just ordered a medicine called Seachem Kanaplex... I've tried Melafix and Fin Cure without any success....

The fish was happy enough in the 150 without any obvious issues, i.e. moving around a lot and eating a lot.

He has not eaten since being moved to the hospital tank, so at this point I will try the new meds for a week and then move him back, he hasn't eaten....

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.