Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
#1 - some type of severum?
#2 - doesn't look like a pure RE to me. body shape is messed up (he could just be old...) and colors aren't quite right.
#3 - front.

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
Think 1 might be a young Rotkeil severum.
Agree with the below

des said:
#2 - looks like a Protomelas sp. "Steveni Taiwan" (Taiwanee Reef)
#3 - Cyphotilapia Frontosa
Not too good at telling the variants of Cyphotilapia apart or even species but I guess if pure someone will be along who can.

What an odd mix. :-?

All the best James

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I got this tank for free from someone who moved out of the country.... it's my first tank and had no clue what kind of fish were in it. Thnaks for all the help guys..

What other fish can I add?? Any sugestions?

·
Registered
554 Posts
How big is your tank?
What kind of fish do you want to keep?

I doubt these three will do well on their own, or combined with anything, but that's a guess, since I've never had any of these fish (except a severum, years ago, for about five days). Basically, once you know what you want to do, at least two of the three will have to go to another tank.

Frontosa like groups, but need a large, large, large tank. They also eat smaller fish. They would also probably like calmer tankmates than that peacock. (they grow to be a foot long, these guys)

Peacocks are pretty, and do well with other males (if you do not want to breed with them) (in a largeish tank) which will be colourful. They also look nice with some yellow labs (labidochromis caeruleus), but that may or may not work out (the yellow labs might be too rough to handle).

Severums want water with a low pH, in contrast with the other two. They're peaceful, apparently they do best on their own, in pairs. Also grows large, 8 to 12 inches.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
They are in a 75g. I got them just like this... I know they have been together for a long time, at least a year or so.

You're right about the Severum being peacefull... he's the most peacefull one of the three, but it seems like he's the boss.

I don't want to take any fish out. This is going to be my only tank for time being.

·
Registered
9,062 Posts
The Red Empress... well, I would call him a generic Red Empress. Hard to tell if he is pure. He is not a Taiwan Reef.

The 3 may get along fine for now, since they are so different they have little reason to argue except over territory. You could add some Barbs or Australian Rainbows as dither fish, as long as they are not real small. These cichlids will keep growing thou.

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
feeesh815 said:
They are in a 75g. I got them just like this... I know they have been together for a long time, at least a year or so.

You're right about the Severum being peacefull... he's the most peacefull one of the three, but it seems like he's the boss.

I don't want to take any fish out. This is going to be my only tank for time being.
Fully agree with nokis corection and sum up of the situation.
Long term in a 75g these guys could and prob will be a problem together even given TLC and water paramiters they can all stand pH 7.5 but hey they sure look good now and no way would I part with any of em before they become a problem. Do keep an eye on em because I am sure that that problem is coming long term as the "front" or more likely gibberosa gets closer to 15", the "generic Red Empress" ever closer to 9"+ and the Rotkeil/Redhead type severum 8 inches or more but I have to say for big fish these are three that might do well together for quite a long time (all being quite mild mannered V very different cichlids and fish most of the time) even in a tank as small as a 75g. A few large barbs might help em disapate any agression on those without major fights and alow you to keep em together longer and enjoy em more than without these.

Mind you a year is a very short time in cichlid keeping. Many tanks that are OK for three years or so only go pearshaped at about 4-6 years as adults become old and mean. Cichlids happily in general living a very long time 6 years plus in tanks.

All the best James

1 - 12 of 12 Posts