Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just went out in got a 50 pound bag of pool filter sand and was wondering do anybody use it for they substrate ? I also bought a 15 pound bag of aragonite and i already had some crush coral in there already . I read on the bag that it contains crystalline silica and if breathe the dust could case delayed lung injury kinda scared to use it now don't no if i want something in my tank that can harm me

·
Registered
69 Posts
i use pool filter sand too the key is just to rinse it out as much as possilbe before adding oh and before you add it to the tank rinse it again! i used a pillow case put half the bag in there and ran water through the sand till it became clear but as far as hurting your fish they will be fine! but RINSE the sand!

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
I use it and tons of others on this site use it too. Like what was mentioned just rinse it real well. In the library section there is a video on how to rinse sand. Your fish will love it. Those warnings are typically for long term heavy exposure to the dust so I really wouldn't worry about it. If you're nervous use a paper mask.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks cleaning it now i love this site

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I'll never use anything else again.

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
If you consider it's intended use, seems pool fliter sand would be ideal. It allows flow while still trapping particles. If it compacted and clogged easily or was too coarse, it wouldn't be effective as a filtering media. So these same properties would make it ideal as a substrate for aquariums just as the article says.

·
2,088 Posts
Heck, I did not rinse it when I put it in either tank. Not much dust to worry about - filters cleared tank in a day or two.

Not sure I won't ever go back, but for my Tang's, it is a great substrate.

·
Registered
8 Posts
What about HOB Marineland filters, will the sand not get in the impellars and mess them up or atleast make them grind loudly? *** considered heavily on adding sand to my tank but worried about this because *** went through ALL excess money :( and would not be able to buy a canister filter (I would have if I read these forums prior)

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I've never had a problem with sand in any of my filters. HOBs, canisters, or sumps. Just try not to stir it up around the intakes and you'll be fine. The granules are big enough they sink pretty quickly and when stirred up they don't make the normal mess of soot you see with other sand, like play sand. That's why PFS is amazing.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I've had my 20 (long) get sand in the impeller almost every time I try to do a 20% water change with the filter running. It locks up the impeller and I'm sure would burn up the motor.

I have to turn off my filter to do it.

Also, you must be very careful when using PFS as substrate - if you vaccuum into your sink/plumbing; sand in your plumbing is VERY BAD.

For those reasons I'll stick with pebbles/crushed coral/whatever.

Algae on sand sucks. It's horrible looking and near impossible to clean. easy to vaccuum off rocks, etc.

G

·
i washed mine alot and it still made my tank pretty cloudy for a day.. if you have a canister filter or water clarifier it goes away in a day... the fish love it compared to gravel thou and its way easier to clean cuz the poo jus stays on the top

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Glaneon said:
Algae on sand sucks. It's horrible looking and near impossible to clean. easy to vaccuum off rocks, etc.
Maybe you should blame the algae instead of the sand. I think algae on gravel is horrible looking. However, if I used gravel, it wouldn't have algae on it. Just like my sand doesn't. :p

I know I sounded a bit rude there. That wasn't my intention. Just saying algae vs sand should be treated as two different issues.

·
Registered
256 Posts
prov356 said:
If you consider it's intended use, seems pool fliter sand would be ideal. It allows flow while still trapping particles. If it compacted and clogged easily or was too coarse, it wouldn't be effective as a filtering media. So these same properties would make it ideal as a substrate for aquariums just as the article says.
+1

The basics of it all. PFS is great and looks great. I have tried several different sands but PFS is easier to work with and ends up looking better than the cheaper options I have tried.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I'm not saying it's the sand's fault.

I'm saying it looks horrible on sand, whereas on gravel/crushed shells, it's very easy to vaccuum off/or ignore (because it doesn't look as bad, to me).

I have 9 aquariums, 2 with PFS - one has bad algae. I have another with algae (a small 5 gallon) with gravel and the algae is easy to vaccuum off with a little agitation.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts