Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi,

my pair of devils are currently split up by a tank divider in a 55g tank.. they are prob 1 yr old and roughly 3in tops ... they have alot of new fry which i discovered this morning ..

we are unsure of who is male and who is female.. the devil guarding the fry is VERY protective. and the other devil will eat any that swim through the divider :(

any hints or tips anyone can give me? *** only owned these guys for 3 months and they are my first fish.. i want to do the best i can to ensure as many live as possible.

the guardian wont move from right near the divider so we are losing fish 1 by 1

please help :(

·
Registered
6,001 Posts
Well, firstly, a 55gal tank isn't large enough for a pair of devils. It really, IMO, isn't even big enough for ONE. Secondly, if these fish are 1 year old an only 3" in size...that's a major problem. A fish that has been taken care of properly and kept in an appropriate-sized tank should be almost full grown at a year old...so around 9-12" in size. Where did you get the fish from? They sound like they may be stunted.

The only way to keep the fry from being eaten is to get a second tank and put the babies in there by themselves. Even the "guardian" will eventually start eating the fry, when the pair decides it's time to spawn again. They'll clear out the old batch to make room for the next.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah like i said im new to this so im just going on the fact *** had them for three months, and judging by pics and videos on the net and people *** spoken to *** estimated 1yr ... but they are deffinatly no more then 4" ...
everywhere i spoke to said the tank would be fine i was even told by an employee at an aquarium store that he himself would put 2 devils and many other big cichlids into a 55g tank..
but i have deffinatly looked at upgrading before they get too big anyways..

at what age can they start breeding?

and at this time the guardian has moved the fry away from danger and into a cave at safe end of tank, all looking good at the moment :)

cheers,
Meedee

·
Registered
76 Posts
meedee1209 said:
i was even told by an employee at an aquarium store that he himself would put 2 devils and many other big cichlids into a 55g tank..
And that's what they are, employee. Their main goal is to sell.

Are you sure they are Red Devil and not pink convict? Is it possible for you to post picture?

·
Registered
796 Posts
meedee1209 said:
yeah like i said im new to this so im just going on the fact I've had them for three months, and judging by pics and videos on the net and people I've spoken to I've estimated 1yr ... but they are deffinatly no more then 4" ...
everywhere i spoke to said the tank would be fine i was even told by an employee at an aquarium store that he himself would put 2 devils and many other big cichlids into a 55g tank..
but i have deffinatly looked at upgrading before they get too big anyways..

at what age can they start breeding?

and at this time the guardian has moved the fry away from danger and into a cave at safe end of tank, all looking good at the moment :)

cheers,
Meedee
I used to manage a family run pet store. We survived between two chain outlets because we knew what we carried and trained our new staff appropriately. Most stores are just hiring for cheap labor and give basic info like...its fish keep in water.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
I think the actual age of a fish, and how long one has owned the fish from time of purchase, is being confused sometimes. IMO, a guesstimate of 3-4" after 3 months from purchasing juvies, is not nessessarily such a small size. And of course that is a guesstimate...... can be quite different then an actual measurement.

Generally, I would supose juvie C.A. to be around 6 months old at time of purchase. But that could vary considerably ....... anywhere from 4 months to 1 yr. old or more. And who knows how long the fish has been at the LFS sometimes. For example, based on the size of my salvini fry, I would supose the young salvinis for sale at an LFS are more like 8 months to a 1 yr. old. I seen some salvini once at an LFS, that were there for well over a year. They grew a little bit; a little larger then typical selling size, but still juvie size. That could make them over 2 years old at time of sale!

But that said, you would probably be best to get a larger tank for 2 Red devil/midas, at least fairly soon. The fry can be siphoned out anytime and placed into another aquarium.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Jaws said:
stunted 1 year olds.
No real reason to think they are "stunted". After all you have only had them for 3 months.

IMO, the notion of "stunting" is very much exaggerrated on fish forums. IME, if a fish doesn't grow too much over one period of time, it tends to grow a lot more later on, over another period of time. I think that fish that grow extremely rapidly after being purchased, often it's because the fish is actually a lot older them we might assume them to be, and are making up for 'lost time'.

·
Registered
6,001 Posts
If the fish were purchased as small, say 1-2" juveniles from a pet store three months ago, then absolutely, the size they are now after owning them for three months is completely normal.

But in the original post, the OP stated they were "probably a year old" and that he himself has owned them for three months. Only later does he say he's guessing on their age; the fact that he originally seemed to know they were about a year old made it seem like he had gotten the fish from a friend or something and actually had an idea of their actual age.

Now that the OP has stated he's simply guessing on the age, I can agree that they probably not stunted and are just subadult fish.

However, that tank is absolutely much too small for the two of them long-term. Unfortunately your pet store employee was mistaken.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.