Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello we just go two new johanni's and they were fine when we first put them in the tank but the next morning they were hanging out at the top of the tank and kind of swimming sides ways. We have no idea what's wrong with them. Any suggestions?

Thanks

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
What size tank is this?

What are the other inhabitants?

What are the water parameters?

How long has the tank been set up?

It sounds like they are very stressed.

Let's get the answers to the above questions and see if we can figure out why.

Kim

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
tank is a 30 gallon
we have 2 maingonna
4 yellow labs(2 babies)
2 brichardis
2 red zebras(1 babie)
2 kenyis
1 clown afra
1 rustic cichlad
1 borliyei kandango
1 aurastas
1 demosani
1 elictric blue johanni
all of these are juveniles with the largest one at about 2 inches long
are ph is around an 8.2-8.3
are gh is around a 6-7
are kh is around an 18
tank has been set up for about 5 months
i was thinking that they might be stressed as well,are borlyie kinda acted like this as well but just not as extreme.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
You have way too many territorial fish in a tank that size.

If you don't change the stock list quickly, you're going to have alot of dead fish on your hands.

The fish are beginning to mature, and the more mature they get, the worse the aggression will be.

The only species you have (cichlid wise) that will work in this size tank are the Yellow labs OR the brichardi, but not unless they are a pair. You can't even house those two species together.

These are very territorial fish you've got. The kenyi shouldn't be in less than a 75G tank. The other cichlids require a 55G minimum.

I would return everything except the Yellow labs (and the one demasoni can stay) and get a larger tank before I bought anymore cichlids.

Stress from aggression will wipe your whole tank out. If they don't die from being attacked, they will develop health issues.

Kim

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanx kim for the advice ,we did lose one of the new johannis,im going to trans fer these fish to my awsome new 75 gallon corner flow in the next couple of days.been waiting for my new tank to finish cycling everything is lookiing good on it.i new that most of thes fish were agressive and began setting up the 75 gallon about a month after i orginally purchased my first cichlads.once again thanx and illkepp you informed on how things are going with them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.