Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got this at a store && it wasnt labelled and of course the person working in the fish department was out that day so someone from lawn and gardens "helped" me. I love this fish and although its semi-agressive it hasnt messed with any of the tankmates unless they go near his cave. Now I need to know what this fish is to make sure its compatible with the rest of my tank.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Hi cichlidlover23,

It looks like a female jack Dempsey. That is a great picture; however, a better view from the side (including its face) would help confirm that it is a jack Dempsey and the sex.

What are the other fish in the tank?

Thanks,
Matt

·
Registered
85 Posts
The first one is definately a Jack Dempsey, and the other one is pretty blury, but looks like it might be a firemouth.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I guess im just confused why my jack demsey looks so different from one I find in pics when I search and research the species. Most all pics show jack demseys to be wider with bold coloring all over. I believe you guy 100% just wish it was easier for me to identify them on my own, I know the second pic of the fish is blurry but its the best pic I could get. It was suggested that it was a green terror but again there's so many fish classified as green terror that I am having a hard time figuring that out.the fishes face has the same markings as the jack demseys face minus the stripes..that is to say if you shine a light at it it has very reflective bright blueish spots and lines. When I introduced them into the tank they both fought which I broke up with my net and its been five days and they have had no aggression towards each other since minus the normal chasing when one swims by there cave. They are in a 55 gallon with lots of rock hiding places and mixed with african cichlids which I was told is a big no no..wouldn't of mixed them if the Store I bought them from didn't have workers in the fish section who no nothing about fish..but surprisingly for known they are all peaceful besides the one fight I mentioned earlier. This is my first cichlid tank and have spent about five hours straight just today researching and just purchased three books online. Any advice on what to do about my mixed tank?! also thanks so much for the identification even tho now that I kno they are s.american cichlids I feel bad for making such a rookie mistake :

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Hi cichlidlover23,

The second pic, althoug blurry looks to be some sort of green terror or perhaps a blue acara. However, you will have to wait until he grows to make a better identification.

As for the JD, it takes them a little while to get comfortable after being transfered to a new tank. Inaddition, she will get more colorful and darlk as she matures.

Thanks,
Matt

1 - 8 of 8 Posts