Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had my tank running for over 2 years and never had a problem. I never really have checked my ph levels thinking that all the crushed coral in the tank is suppose to maintain the ph level. I did check the ph level yesterday by putting in one of those suction reading cards and it is reading that my ph is 7.0 I was wondering what can I do to raise the ph and maintain the ph at 7.8 Also is it something that should be done? Please let me know... Thanks...

·
Registered
256 Posts
This article has a buffer recipe that may help you.
http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/buffer_recipe.php

You can also buy tablets to raise the PH and maintain it.

If your fish are doing well, I don't know if I would worry too much about it. If you do try something to bring up the PH avoid drastic changes and slowly raise the PH overtime. Not much but I hope it helps.

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
Check out Practical Water Chemistry in the forum library to get some basic info on the relationship between pH and KH, or buffers. I would definitely worry about this because if buffers get too low, your pH could drop dramatically lower. But, you have to bring KH into the conversation because that's what stabilizes pH. But, rather than repeat everything in the article, give it a read. Check your tap KH value. If it's low, then you need to add buffers. I've always questioned the effectiveness of adding buffers via crushed coral, as once it gets coated with organics (and it will) it will no longer dissolve and no longer add buffers. I'd suggest, if needed, you consider just using baking soda, as zimmy suggested.

Post back test readings or questions if this isn't clear.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok I just did my weekly 35% water change cleaning all the gravel every time I clean the tank. I take all the rock and decorations out every time and do an entire gravel cleaning. I always add tap water and then 1.5 caps of prime. I also add 8 tablespoons of salt. Anyways I just finished my water change and checked everything. My parameters are as follows...

ph=7.2
ammonia=tracing seems like it is always a tracing right after a water change...
nitrite=0
nitrate=10-20
kh=125.5 which was 7 drops
gh=19 drops...

It seems like my kh and ph are low...

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
Your KH is fne. pH is a bit lower than I'd like it myself for rift lake cichilds.

You may see a trace of ammonia after a water change if you have chloramine in your tap water.

What type of 'salt' are you adding?

What's the KH and pH value of your tap water?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My tap water results are kh=7drops and gh=6drops.

I use instant ocean sea salt 8 tablespoons every water change once a week.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts