Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I've finished carving my background and mixed up the quikrete really thin so it would just coat the foam, but it won't stick. THe I tried it thick, and that didn't work. Has anyone else had this problem?? What do I do?? I worked really hard on this background and now I can't coat it?? HELP!

This is what I'm using

·
Registered
521 Posts
try adding acrylic fortifier to the mix. You don't want it too thin or too thick. Think a partially melted milk shake.

·
Registered
830 Posts
yea the acrylic fortifier helps cure fast and make it durable under water.

the trick to get it to stick is to rough up the stryo. use some heat. either a hair dryer or a blow torch(really really lightly and quickly) to melt the top a little and give it some more texture. and you want the cement to be like a thin milkshake. but if you have some cement on there already keep working with that.

just keep adding layers until you have a good start. then make a think mix and add it on. but not so thick as it will clump. it should still be soupy.

you need to get it going before it will stick. more layers or melting should help. make sure you let the layers dry a day or two first.

·
Premium Member
5,606 Posts
Be sure you have a mortar mix, not a stone aggregate mix. Follow manufacturer directions as to how much water. Don't make soup or any other suggestion. Concrete does not stick well to styrofoam. Making it wetter and weaker will not help in the long run. Wind nylon yarn around the foam and using a knitting needle, fasten it where you can't wind it around. Lay the background on its back and apply the concrete where it will stick. Don't worry about 100% coverage. A second layer should connect the dots. I would use the acrylic fortifier because it makes the concrete smell better while you are working with it. That is enough reason to use it for me, but it should also make it hold on in thinner layers than plain concrete. It probably also seals in some of the chemicals that will gradually make the concrete strong when protected from being leached out. If they do leach out, they can raise th pH too high for fish comfort.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
THANK YOU!!! Everyone! This seems to be working great!! THANKS!!! :D :fish: =D> :D

·
Registered
4 Posts
hey, this is govind. currently developing a mould made out of polystyrene and need more info on if i can use builders bog on the polystyrene as well. Got the understanding on how to use cement mix and plesase help me to replicate the same results with builders bog.
thanks in advance guys. Am new to this hope i find great advice from you guys. Cheers and stay safe in such times :) :D

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey DeeDA, You are appsolutely right about it. However, to impart strength to polystyrene, my team mate selected builders bog as hardeniong material. So i was lead into that direction and trying to find ways in which bog correctly fits on the foam. (Hoping to use Turbo builders bog from bunnings)

·
Super Moderator
1,916 Posts
You might want to contact the Mfg. to see if the product is suitable for use with polystyrene plus underwater permanently and if the cured product is safe for aquarium use. You may not get an answer as to the last question as many Mfg.'s don't test for aquarium use of building materials.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Deeda said:
You might want to contact the Mfg. to see if the product is suitable for use with polystyrene plus underwater permanently and if the cured product is safe for aquarium use. You may not get an answer as to the last question as many Mfg.'s don't test for aquarium use of building materials.
Thanks for the info i would definetly do that. Cheers

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.