Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put my 4 juvenile multis into a 3 gallon desktop tank at work several months ago. Since then, one male and the female paired off. The paired male has now forced the other two males to live behind the filter and the heater, and the pair has had a brood of 8 fry that have been growing well about 2-3 weeks.

I want to move the whole gang into a 10g or 20g long that I have at home. Whats the best way to get everyone there? Some of the fry are so small I worry about accidentally burying them or something. Any tips are appreciated. I have thought about trying to literally carry the entire tank downstairs and into the car. I would have to put some kind of lid on it.... :-?

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
I have read about taking a small narrow necked vase or something similar and putting that in to catch them. let them swim and in pull out the vase with them in it. Or grab the shells while they are in them.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Try a turkey baster. Just suck em up and put then in another container. The larger fish you will just net.
I like using the plastic containers you get soup in from the Chinese delivery. The lids are pretty much water tight.

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
I would move something through the tank and watch for them to duck into shells. Move the shells into some sort of transport container that will allow the shells to stay submerged.

If they won't duck into the shells, drain the water down, then use your hand to guide them into a small net.

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
:lol: Multies come prepackaged- just move them in their shells.

When starting a new colony or splitting an old one, I just grab shells that I'm pretty sure have fish in them, transport them in a bucket full of tank water to their new location, and let them go.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
*** done that with the adults, I just didnt know if the fry travelled as easily in the shell. I didnt want them to go in and never come out :(

·
Registered
363 Posts
Not to sound harsh, but even if you lose a couple, it's not a big deal. Give them the bigger tank and within a couple of months, you'll be looking for places to offload fry.

I love my colony of multis, but they're like rats, I tell ya! :p

·
Registered
705 Posts
lol i second the transport inside the shells. make sure theyre covered nicely. have you also thought about maybe bumping up to a 30g long... maybe add some julies in that multi tank as well :p ornatus or transcriptus fit the bill quite well. just a thought GL in the move

1 - 8 of 8 Posts