Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I did a water change last week and replaced my filter cartridges, then my water got milky so I did another 15% change 2 days later. Now my powerhead sprayer has turned white and I have white stuff on the inside of my tank. The milkiness went away for a while, then when I did another water change today my water got milky again and I have this white stuff again....
Ammonia is 0, no3 is is 0, and no2 is roughly .2, I can't figure this out...
My fish act perfectly normal, always begging for food, normal poop etc etc. What the heck am I doing wrong? This has never happened before![/b]

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh, and I checked my filter... there is white stuff in there too! My tank is a 55 gallon with a pengiun 350gph biowheel filter, and I have a 170gph powerhead to add water movement.
Thanks!

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If by clean you mean run tank water over the intake tube and use the brush to scrub it and and do the same to the filter then yes I did.
The white stuff looks like the brown algae you can get that sticks to your glass if the light is on too long, except its white. And then the white stuff on my powerhead was thicker and came off in chunks...

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
I know that some good bacteria can clump in intake/outtake tubes. So after a filter stoppage the rush of water again can dislodge some of this stuff. It has never turned my water cloudy though. But your discription of it looking like diatoms only white makes me think of a fungus. But I'm not an expert.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes I did test my ammonia and nitrites, its in my first post but here it is again...
Ammonia is 0, no3 is 0 and no2 is .2 ish. So if its fungus, what can I do? I hate the milky water look, it does go away but still it'll be annoying.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I tried taking photos and they didn't really turn out, but my water is perfectly clear now. Yes I do have driftwood in my tank, but I think I figured it out.... my dechlor product had the same white coating on the cap. So I am assuming I accidently put too much dechlor in.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts