Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 175 gallons cichlids aquarium and it is lit by a 40w T5 red light on timer.

I feel 40w is not enough for the size of my aquarium and my fish (although looking very healthy) have no, or very few, colors.

1. Does light affect colors of the fish ?

2. I have bought today another 40w Actinic Blue light but I was told the Blue should be mixed with white and not red is that true or can I mix 40w red and 40w actinic blue ?

3. how much light and for how many hours per day do I need for my aquarium ?

thanks for the help

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
akhater said:
1. Does light affect colors of the fish ?
Yes. The color temperature of the bulb and the color of the fish will determine if the color of your fishes "pop."

2. I have bought today another 40w Actinic Blue light but I was told the Blue should be mixed with white and not red is that true or can I mix 40w red and 40w actinic blue ?
I've never heard that but maybe someone else can comment. Warm lighting (in the red part of the spectrum) can promote algae growth so it may be worth avoiding for that reason.

3. how much light and for how many hours per day do I need for my aquarium ?
Depends if you have plants or not. Without plants, you're just lighting for your viewing and there's no benefit to keeping the lights on when you're not around. With plants it becomes more of an issue (depending on the type of plant). I've heard 2-5 watts per gallon mentioned. The deeper your tank, the more light is needed to illuminate the bottom.

I have low light plants and I light my tank for 10 hours per day (in two 5 hour blocks using a timer).

Hope that helps.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.