Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
arrghh...Hello everyone.

Im wanting to get some conformation on these fish. I had 6 that I ordered from Jeff Rapps, a pair formed and I got rid of the other 4. Now I have them in a 125 with a few tiger barbs and a pleco...and the female (or what I perceive to be) is WHIPPING the **** out of the male. Its gotten so bad that I now have a divider in the tank. Is this normal for the female to be this violent towards a male?...and since divided, both have dug themselves huge pits in the sand.

Can any of you please confirm the sex of these 2 fish please? The male changes colors and markings so often that I am now questioning if what I thought was a pair is exactly that and not just 2 that swam and co-habitated together in their "space". They are about 4-5 inches long.

The female has what is basically black to dark blue on the front half of her dorsal, but the flash makes it look light blue. The male NEVER gets any color in his dorsal like hers.

Thanks for any help you can give!

The Male:

The female:

·
Registered
326 Posts
Looks like you got the sexing right. How long diid it take for them to grow that big, cause im getting some from rapps aswell so just curious. How are they.?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They grow about half an inch a month. These were born in September.

They are kind of shy...the female is starting to let me feed her instead of hiding and coming out when im not around, but the male still shys away from any movement in front of the tank. he might just be freaked out and afraid the female is hiding waiting to whoop up on him!

Good Luck with yours!

convictkid said:
Looks like you got the sexing right. How long diid it take for them to grow that big, cause im getting some from rapps aswell so just curious. How are they.?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.