Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
90 gallon tank

To give an idea of the colors I'm trying to bring out, it's to be stocked with lots of demasoni, some yellow labs, and some acei. All rock in there. No plants planned, and if I end up tossing in any, it'll be something requiring low light.

Originally, I was looking at the Marineland Double Bright LED 48" fixture, but it just doesn't' seem like enough light, and the darkness at the edges of the tank (the fixture is really only 36" wide) is kind of a downer too.

I was looking at these two...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... ink:top:en

A used fixture...very good price, but who knows how much juice is left in the bulbs?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... ink:top:en

I presume this is the newer version of the same light. I'd assume some improvements in design (although, I don't really know enough about lighting to be sure what all the specs mean, so I'm not sure). 3x the cost, but that may be offset somewhat by the fact that all bulbs are brand new, the fixture is brand new, and the fixture is a newer model.

What do you guys think?

Also, how do you feel about using actinic bulbs (well, half) in such a tank?

Any other recommendations are welcome.

I'm looking to spend somewhere between those two numbers, with around ~$300 as my absolute max, but I'd gladly spend less if there's something good out there.

Moonlight LEDs are something I'd really like to have. I don't think I necessarily need 4 bulbs (eg the two extra actinic), so if you guys think 2 "regular" bulbs are enough, feel free to suggest alternatives.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Anyone? Please? :D

I also can't seem to find any lights that are only double strips and have lunar LED's. Anyone know of any?

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
How about a seperate LED moonlight system all together? Wide-angle LED's (170 degrees) will suffienctly cover the tank.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
DanniGirl, thought about that... but an LED unit itself would cost almost as much as that used fixture.

I'm clearly not getting much of a response here, so I guess I'll try to clarify what I'm asking at this point...

I guess the main factors in deciding between that used fixture I posted and the new one are...

A - If, by some chance, one or more of the bulbs are close to the end of their lifespan, how much, ballpark, would they cost to replace (again, I'm not all that familiar with the lighting stuff).

B - How much higher will the bidding end up in the waning hours before I should decide that I'd rather just buy the new one?

Anyone? :D

·
Registered
355 Posts
I guess I'm kinda confused cause you said you don't want to do much plants except for maybe a few low lights plants but both the fixtures you put links to are 4 bulb high wattage fixtures that you could grow about any plant you wanted with a CO2 setup and without plants your going to have one nice tank full of algae. The first fixture you linked to, the used one, uses 4 power compact fluorescent bulbs and the second link is a brand new fixture that uses 4 HO T5's. You would only need a fixture with 2 of these bulbs max for low light plants and to make your fish colors pop. I've been reading about the HO T5's a lot lately cause I also am in the process of setting up a 90G tank right now too. I have links to several of the fixtures I'm looking at now and they might actually help make up your mind. I'm personally going to do a custom canopy with a 2 bulb HO T5 setup and I'm just buying the reflector, ballast and bulbs separately but you can get full 2 bulb HO T5 fixtures with everything you need for around $120 to $160 shipped.

Here is the link to my thread and the links to the different fixtures I'm looking at are the 4th post down the page. http://www.cichlid-forum.com/phpBB/view ... p?t=227173

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
jkulysses said:
I guess I'm kinda confused cause you said you don't want to do much plants except for maybe a few low lights plants but both the fixtures you put links to are 4 bulb high wattage fixtures that you could grow about any plant you wanted with a CO2 setup and without plants your going to have one nice tank full of algae. The first fixture you linked to, the used one, uses 4 power compact fluorescent bulbs and the second link is a brand new fixture that uses 4 HO T5's. You would only need a fixture with 2 of these bulbs max for low light plants and to make your fish colors pop. I've been reading about the HO T5's a lot lately cause I also am in the process of setting up a 90G tank right now too. I have links to several of the fixtures I'm looking at now and they might actually help make up your mind. I'm personally going to do a custom canopy with a 2 bulb HO T5 setup and I'm just buying the reflector, ballast and bulbs separately but you can get full 2 bulb HO T5 fixtures with everything you need for around $120 to $160 shipped.

Here is the link to my thread and the links to the different fixtures I'm looking at are the 4th post down the page. http://www.cichlid-forum.com/phpBB/view ... p?t=227173
Well, the new $300 4 bulb/lunar led unit is probably overkill. I was looking at the used one because it seems like a pretty good deal and I want a fixture with lunar lights.

I don't have a canopy nor do I want to make one, so setting up a bunch of different lighting units isn't really an option. I don't really want to clutter the top of my tank (for aesthetic reasons) with multiple fixtures, either.

Now to check your thread and see if there are any 2 bulb fixtures with lunar LEDs (and separate power supplies). :D

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I should also mention that I painted the rear glass of my tank black... I know there's been a lot said about how this reduces light in the tank and is pretty bad if you have live coral/plants/etc.

On the other hand, could a positive benefit of this be that even if I have "too much" light because I buy a fixture that provides too much, the darkness caused by the black background might mitigate the algae problem?

Also, I actually wouldn't mind tossing a bunch of java fern and/or anubias in there to compete with the algae dand add color to the aquascape and from what I understand, even Mbuna will leave that stuff alone.

·
Registered
355 Posts
This link is in my thread too but check out this fixture made by Current USA. http://www.current-usa.com/lighting/nova-extreme-2x It allows you to add their led truelumen setup to the existing T5 HO nova extreme fixture down the road if you want to which I think is a pretty cool idea. O and your right about the Java Ferns and Moss I've grown them in many different types of african cichlid tanks and never had a problem with them being tore up or eatin. I just used some fishing line to tie them to a rock or driftwood or whatever I was attaching them too until their roots took hold.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am not a big fan of Current's lights. I've had them in the past. It would definitely be a nice suggestion otherwise, though.

Is the algae going to be that bad if I run that coralife with the actinics off and only the 2 10,000 bulbs on?

I can have the others on only at certain times for certain looks and have teh white ones as my main day to day lights

·
Registered
355 Posts
If your gonna leave the other two off most the time then I wouldn't think it would be any worse than what I'll be running. I think i'm going to try a 6700k bulb and a 10k see how i like that first. I'm going for an amazon look with this tank though so those might not be the best choices maybe I should just get 6700k I don't know lol. I might have 6 extra bulbs laying around by the time I find the perfect combo :)

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
DavidH said:
DanniGirl, thought about that... but an LED unit itself would cost almost as much as that used fixture.
Depends what system. Mine did not so check ebay.

DavidH said:
Is the algae going to be that bad if I run that coralife with the actinics off and only the 2 10,000 bulbs on?

I can have the others on only at certain times for certain looks and have teh white ones as my main day to day lights
It all depends how long you run the 10,000k lights.

I run 2 actinics and 2 50/50s and I've never had an algae issue. I also have two separate LED systems (moonlights and natural spotlights) and together, all the light systems are only on for a MAX of 6 hours a day. All the systems are on a timer so even the moonlights go off at 11:00 p.m. Obviously I don't have plants and my fish prefer low light conditions. So the way I see it, why have the lights come on when I can't enjoy the tank?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That's a great point. I can just have the main lights for the 6 hrs or so when I'm home from work and awake. That'd also definitely help curtail any algae problem.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts