Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to find out if this is a male auratus cichlid or a Chipokee? Also I started doing some research on both and read either can be quite aggressive. This species is the only one I have and he is about 3 1/2. My biggest fish in my 110 gallon ( Lots of Hiding Places / Rocks ) is about the same size just a tad bigger. My concern is I may have some severe aggression issues with this fish but first need to find out what it is. :(

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So this will most definitely turn out to be a extremely aggressive tank mate for my other Mbunas? :(

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Yes. A really nice chipokae, though. It's probably going to pummel anything that looks remotely close to it or anything that is trying to breed with a yellow female. That said, it COULD work, particularly if you get him 6-8 females to make friend with.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I have one in my mbuna tank and he is docile as a dolphin. He's in there with some hara, a red cheek, a rusty, a polit, some acei, a yellow lab, and a socolofi.

Those don't look like mbuna in that tank with him...I wouldn't hesitate to tell you he will be ok with mbuna, but not peacocks...

·
Registered
623 Posts
i have an auratus which is similar and its one of my most docile fish. All fish are different and that guy looks pretty much fully matured by his color morph progress so depending on how hes acting now may give you an idea. Also i have peacock, haps, vics, and mbuna in my tank. I know not exactly same fish, but they often get classed together due to their aggressiveness.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
RRasco said:
I have one in my mbuna tank and he is docile as a dolphin. He's in there with some hara, a red cheek, a rusty, a polit, some acei, a yellow lab, and a socolofi.

Those don't look like mbuna in that tank with him...I wouldn't hesitate to tell you he will be ok with mbuna, but not peacocks...
I have a mixed malawi the only one showing are the peacocks the others are the usual yellow labs, red zebras and such. As for now this fish has been pretty calm no issues YET.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Chunkanese said:
i have an auratus which is similar and its one of my most docile fish. All fish are different and that guy looks pretty much fully matured by his color morph progress so depending on how hes acting now may give you an idea. Also i have peacock, haps, vics, and mbuna in my tank. I know not exactly same fish, but they often get classed together due to their aggressiveness.
Yeah so far he's been docile but I've only had him for about a week but when the wifey brought it home the first thing I rhought was OUCH those are aggresive. I'm hoping he does stay that way and I have no issues. Next time

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.