Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
certainly not a convict, but it's not a hybrid either, reminds me of a nic, though I'm sure I'm wrong

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Could I keep this with my cons? Cause when it was in with them it had a ton of aggression towards them.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Definately just a Convict. It's stripes are not being fully exhibit but you can still make out it's traits, including the dark spot at the top of the gill plate opening. Just the mood or state the fish is in.......looks like it's a little scared in a bare corner with out any decor :D

·
Registered
6,001 Posts
I do see convict in it...but I'm not entirely convinced it's pure. I'm not saying it's not, I'd just like to see another picture of it. How long have you had the fish? It certainly looks like a scared, unsettled little fish - did you just put it in the tank? I'd suggest giving it time to settle and then taking another picture.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Firecon, FiremouthxConvict hybrid. I've seen them like that before.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
A convict cross (such as a firecon) is a possibility.......definately need a better picture, though, to see that. I can't see anything from this picture that doesn't say convict.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I've had them for 4 months now and it's been in that tank for 3 months it's looked like that from when I got it

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Definitely not Con. Wrong body type.
Definitely not Thorichthys. No spot on gill plate.
Definitely not Nic. Everything is wrong.

I am with TFG on the amphilophus species

.....Bill

·
Registered
912 Posts
First picture the angle made the forehead look more sloped, like Thorichthys. These last two shots do not show that, so I rescind my suggestion of Firecon.

In the early 1970s we had a color strain of Convicts called Spotted. Basically, the bars were reduced to spots on the flanks - just like this specimen. Every once in a great while I still see these fish popping up here and there, but no one ever seems to remember the Spotted Convict, even though there was an article on the genetics in The Aquarium magazine. I believe you have one of these "throwbacks", and the fish is just a male Convict.

The body shape is correct in the last two shots for Convict, sorry but I have to disagree with Bill.

Whoever suggested Nic is either blind, or has never actually seen a Nic or a picture of a Nic. Or they were on drugs. :?

Not even close to anything Amphilophus.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
The dark spot at the top of the gill plate opening (and quite often exhibeted all the way down the gill plate along the gill opening) is a convict trait. Not Amphilophus; in fact no other Cryptoheros even has this trait.... only Archoecentrus centrachus has this trait as well, though it looks somewhat different.

All the traits are those of a convict, including it's body shape. Spots represent stripes .....no different then any other CA/SA cichlid. The stripes are not being exhibited very well, but they are visible, though very faintly. The strain of the convict and/or the mood or state the fish happens to be in.

If it is a convict cross, we need much better pictures to see this........because their are no traits that one can see in these pictures that are not that of a convict. Often a convict cross will have very prevalent convict characteristics.........obvious convict ancestory though what other CA cichlid it was crossed with is not always so apperant. A better quality picture might reveal something that is not characteristic of a convict......though from what I can tell from these pictures, it's just a 'plain ol' con'.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts