1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
625 Posts
If you got it at a national pet chain, odds are it's a hybrid between all types of johanni. I can't tell from the pictures because it looks blue in one picture but dull in the other two. I'd lean towards female but the pictures aren't very clear.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They were with Yellow Cichlids but they were not long and narrow like Johanni. Believe they were Yellow Labs. There were 2 blues in the tank, a dark one and the light colored one. This was the light colored one, turned very dark after about 3-4 weeks. Almost black. Now changes between blueish black and blue and almost a bluish purple.

I'll try to upload another picture. It's from my phone sorry.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Heres the best I can do. Hopefully they're a bit better.
And yes it was bought at Petco, *** only seen them have 2 of this particular fish and this was one of them. The other one was extremely more aggressive. And this one was the 2nd most aggressive in the tank full of rest of Yellow assorted Africans or Labs for sure.

Thanks

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
True electric blue johanni are Melanochromis cyaneorhabdos. These fish have NO yellow in them at all, not even hints.

Regular johanni start out yellow and turn blue. At a small size, only one or two fish in a tank should become dominant blue males. It is possible you have regular Melanochromis johanni, but I can't say that for certain. They could be hybrids, which is very common. Unfortunately, more pictures probably won't help in this case.

They are not electric blue johanni though

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Main reason that I am curious about sex is because I currently have a small Blue Kenyi in there and would like to add a couple more Johanni when I upgrade to a 60 gallon. I'd like a couple females and a male. If this is a male I don't want to add another male, with same orientation to the same environment and cause discomfort or issues.

·
Premium Member
3,013 Posts
So you're prepared - whether these are melanochromis johanni or melanochromis hybrids, in either case you will need at least a 75 gallon tank and a harem of 1 male with 6-7 females in order to have a good chance of success.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts