Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
One thing to consider, is all the South American fish mentioned are soft water, low pH species (pH 7 or below).
Lake Victoria on the contrary, has relatively hard water, with a pH ranging in the high 7s to mid 8s, the water temp where the fish are found in the lake is in the mi 70s, and bit lower than the preferred temps of the S Americans mentioned.
These may not be critical for the Astotilapia if your parameters are neutral, , but can be chronically unhealthful over time, if too far out of wack.
Of course the same could be said for the S Americans, if your tap water is on the hard, high pH side.
Should I give him to my local fish store? I don’t want him to be harmed and then I could have space for more fish. He does seem fine and has quite vibrant colors. I’m not suffering too much from aggression other than the occasional chase from my jd. No fish is being bullied.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
JD and Convict are Central American, only the Severum is SA, and the CA Cichlids come from waters that are just as hard and alkaline as the East African lakes. Only the Severum is from softer water in nature, and that species has been aquarium bred for so long that they have adapted to most any kind of water.

However, I would be more concerned with the fact that the CA species are more territorial and tend to be more aggressive than that African. Also, the JD will get much larger, and may eventually be too much for the other species you have there.
That sucks because the people at my local fish store said this would work. I can’t get another tank I don’t have room or the money rn. Also I’m a kid so like my parents probably don’t want to have a giant tank.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts