Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,665 Posts
Yes.... but, that would mostly depend on how large the aquarium is that you are keeping these fish in. So, if the tank is too small? There will definitely be problems.

·
Registered
245 Posts
One thing to consider, is all the South American fish mentioned are soft water, low pH species (pH 7 or below).
Lake Victoria on the contrary, has relatively hard water, with a pH ranging in the high 7s to mid 8s, the water temp where the fish are found in the lake is in the mi 70s, and bit lower than the preferred temps of the S Americans mentioned.
These may not be critical for the Astotilapia if your parameters are neutral, , but can be chronically unhealthful over time, if too far out of wack.
Of course the same could be said for the S Americans, if your tap water is on the hard, high pH side.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
One thing to consider, is all the South American fish mentioned are soft water, low pH species (pH 7 or below).
Lake Victoria on the contrary, has relatively hard water, with a pH ranging in the high 7s to mid 8s, the water temp where the fish are found in the lake is in the mi 70s, and bit lower than the preferred temps of the S Americans mentioned.
These may not be critical for the Astotilapia if your parameters are neutral, , but can be chronically unhealthful over time, if too far out of wack.
Of course the same could be said for the S Americans, if your tap water is on the hard, high pH side.
Should I give him to my local fish store? I don’t want him to be harmed and then I could have space for more fish. He does seem fine and has quite vibrant colors. I’m not suffering too much from aggression other than the occasional chase from my jd. No fish is being bullied.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
JD and Convict are Central American, only the Severum is SA, and the CA Cichlids come from waters that are just as hard and alkaline as the East African lakes. Only the Severum is from softer water in nature, and that species has been aquarium bred for so long that they have adapted to most any kind of water.

However, I would be more concerned with the fact that the CA species are more territorial and tend to be more aggressive than that African. Also, the JD will get much larger, and may eventually be too much for the other species you have there.

Reactions: Deeda

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
JD and Convict are Central American, only the Severum is SA, and the CA Cichlids come from waters that are just as hard and alkaline as the East African lakes. Only the Severum is from softer water in nature, and that species has been aquarium bred for so long that they have adapted to most any kind of water.

However, I would be more concerned with the fact that the CA species are more territorial and tend to be more aggressive than that African. Also, the JD will get much larger, and may eventually be too much for the other species you have there.
That sucks because the people at my local fish store said this would work. I can’t get another tank I don’t have room or the money rn. Also I’m a kid so like my parents probably don’t want to have a giant tank.

·
Registered
5,518 Posts
Really, many have had tanks like this that are not ideal. Is it great long term? No. I'll be contrary, I think it is "okay" for fun for a beginning cichlid tank to watch them grow up. Heck, I would probably add the Salvini.

Eventually you will have fighting problems and may have to remove fish. The Jack Dempsey will probably be the boss, and you may end up with just the Jack Dempsey alone. The Severum makes a better community fish but is more boring. You won't have breeding territory issues. Regular water changes is the key to growth and health. The Zebra Obliquidens is an outsider and may or may not do okay, may be intimidated as the others grow bigger.

Now if you wanted a breeding pair of one of these American species, that is very interesting as they are great parents, you would have just a pair of fish in the tank. And hundreds of babies that are fun to raise but you couldn't find homes for. Even that has problems, as the couple can break up. Then you end up with one fish in the tank.

·
Super Moderator
2,665 Posts
You now have baby-sized Cichlids in your tank, and this hobby really is all about tradeoffs. So, when those Cichlids grow out to adult size and start feeling the squeeze of your smaller-sized tank around them? The battles for dominance and territory will inevitably begin.
Plus, purchase a Nitrate test kit. As those baby-sized fish grow in size, the bio-load they impose on the tank will also get larger. This will make it more and more difficult to dilute out the Nitrates in the water of the aquarium produced by those fish. The measured level of Nitrate in the water that will be safe for them long-term, should be kept lower than 20 PPM - preferably lower than that. If not, and the tank becomes sloppy? Your Central and South American Cichlids will become physically stressed, and much more susceptible to getting HITH/HLLE disease.
-
To prevent that from happening, this may require performing those water changes twice per week with 75 to 85 percent of the water changed out each time, to keep the water safe and below 20 PPM in measured Nitrates. This is hard work that may - or may not - be sustainable by you for the full and long life of your Cichlids. And is another big reason why it is never a good idea to stuff an aquarium full of fish.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts