Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello i need some help i am putting a ply tank together it is 7foot long 3 feet high 3 feet wide the glass will be 6 feet long and 2 feet high how thick does it need to be and what is the best glass to use plus what it the best fillter to use its for tropical i used to have a 6by2by2 but when i moved home it got broke by two very bad removale men thanks so can you help the ply is 18 mm thick and i have doubled it help me please xx

·
Registered
369 Posts
quick answer, glass thinkness depends on where you put it. the higher up the face of the tank the thinner it can technically be. (i.e 3 foot face 9 inches from the bottom and assuming a 3" frame on the top leaves you with 24". At that depth 1/2 float glass will work (I have 1/2" Starphire at a depth of 28"). If you put the glass much deeper, say at the 30" mark you'll want to step up to 3/4" instead.

That's my two cents. I take no responsibility for my comments :) , they are just what has worked for me

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
Have you considered how you will work on a tank that tall and deep? 18mm glass is around 3/4" so your probably ok. My concern would be the plywood since you will have a fair width of it before you get to the glass, especially along the bottom.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I agree with BillD. Although I get the bigger the better theory I'd be hesitant to have 9" of Plywood on the bottom.. there is a lot of space that you won't see the fish or what they are doing. I don't think 9" of substrate is realistic. If your set with your 2' tall glass then I'd suggest modifying your design to say 28" tall then you have 2" on the bottom which can easily be covered by substrate then your entire tank will be viewed with little space for the fish to disappear :)

Good luck

·
Registered
92 Posts
Agree about the plywood for the front, just not strong enough make a wooden "picture frame" to fit the glass you have something like this

My tank is 67'x43'x27' and it's a stretch to get to the center front area so I would think about access as well but good luck with the build

1 - 8 of 8 Posts