Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After an enforced sabbatical from fish, I plan to soon return to it and my plan is to go back to the type of tank that brought me the most joy over my time in the hobby - a Mbuna setup!

I have been out of this for over 3 years now though and it's amazing how much you forget regarding species names, behaviour etc. It's slowly coming back though.

Of course, I've looked at the cookie cutters and plenty of other posts. I just thought however that some of you would like to give me some influence, perhaps what you would do in my position. I will most likely be sourcing a tank circa 65-75 US gallons (I'm actually in the UK). Standard size and type tank for that volume.

As for what I want from Mbuna, similar to my last tank in the effect - activity, varied colour and interest!

Yellow Labs are almost certain to go in there because they look great I think. But from there I'm open to suggestions. Of course I have ideas but I'd welcome suggestions other than the cookie cutters.

I have always fancied Demasoni, I understand the issues that can follow those little terrors but would certainly welcome those suggestions.

I have no interest in breeding, an all male tank if controllable would be fine with me.

Come on, give me your ideas, species and numbers? Abut in offered will certainly be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
As far as tank selection goes just make sure it is 4 feet long (or bigger). 75g would be nice.

An all male tank is definitly an option. You would prob have to shuffle some fish in and out but in the end would have a nice collection of 9-12 male mbuna.

If you want a harem set up and like the labs and demasoni you could do that combo. I wouldnt start with less than 18-20 demasoni. Probably get around 7 or 8 lab juvies. Depending on how many gallons you get you might be able to add another species.

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
It really depends on what you are able to find. The main goal is to get fish with different, colors, barring, shape, and size. Obviously some of those are going to overlap but do your best.

My all male tank has labeo fuelleborni, hongi, saulosi, msobo, rusty, afra (likoma), hara, and a perlmutt (also i have a ngara acei who is going in soon). The fuelleborni and saulosi are full grown. The hongi is close to full grown. The msobo is about half way grown and the other guys are less than 3".

My all male has only been set up for a little less than a month. Even though i have had some of these fish for 2-3 years. So over the next year i might have to do some shuffling but right now it is working out really good. I had an all male tank about 3 years ago but I didnt like my mix and went to harem set up and now i am back at all male and really like my mix.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Honestly, there are tons and tons of options for a all-male tank. Start with maybe about 15 different species that YOU like and narrow down from there. Like GaMan said, try (as best as possible) to make sure they don't look too similar in size, color, shape, etc. but you seen what GaMan had for his list mentioned above and my list is noted in my sig. No mix is alike, it's really whatever you decide :thumb: I looked at the first website you noted and they have a decent selection.......you could make a really killer tank!

A few things that I would keep in mind if you do indeed decide to go all-male........
- I'd personally stay away from Melanochromis species
- Get them while they're young (but still try to make sure they are obviously males)
- Add the least aggressive first, most aggressive last
- Add multiple males each time so you can avoid a new single fish getting bullied
- Avoid Haps/Peacocks/catfish/plecos/any other odd ball fish (they won't work in the long run) stick with strictly mbuna

I will say though, if you do decide to go all-male, you must be warned that it's a difficult task to get the numbers and right mix of species in the tank. There are some "trial-and-errors" that you will bump in to and you will end up having to remove or trade fish to get the right mix. You may even sadly have a few deaths. Having a tank with 3-4 species is much easier and almost just as fun to watch (IMO) but if you have the $$$$ and time to work on it then go with the all-male!

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys. I think what I'll have to do is spend some time going back over profiles, re-familiarising myself with the species, deciding on certain fish and then going from there. I did an all male Mbuna tank before a few years ago, well all male to best of my knowledge, it worked well and had no deaths apart from one fish that was in my opinion of poor quality and beyond saving before had a chance really.

Surprised about you saying no plec though? I had a BN in my Mbuna tank and although he got a bit of hassle when he went somewhere he wasn't welcome, he was generally fine.

·
Registered
448 Posts
TommyMagic said:
Thanks guys. I think what I'll have to do is spend some time going back over profiles, re-familiarising myself with the species, deciding on certain fish and then going from there. I did an all male Mbuna tank before a few years ago, well all male to best of my knowledge, it worked well and had no deaths apart from one fish that was in my opinion of poor quality and beyond saving before had a chance really.

Surprised about you saying no plec though? I had a BN in my Mbuna tank and although he got a bit of hassle when he went somewhere he wasn't welcome, he was generally fine.
Some people have sucess with plecos but I think its just a risk. Its 50-50 chance that it will survive imo

1 - 9 of 9 Posts