Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alrighty so I got 2 fish tanks for free. One of them is a 75, the other WAS a 55 gallon but the person that was giving it to me wanted to fill it up to make sure it wasn't leaking but filled it in the basement on a cold night and the side busted open (i'm assuming it probably started to freeze). So I'm down to the 75. The tank is probably close to 20 years old and I'm having second thoughts about trying to fill it up and having it bust out all over my floor.

So my dilemma is......I could buy a new 75 gallon tank and use the stand and the hood that were given to me OR should I just go out and buy a whole new 55 gallon set-up? I'll give you my stocklist and you can tell me which tank you think will work better.....

4 Angels
1 (possibly 2) Biotodoma Cupido (eartheater)
8 corydoras (different species)
6 black-winged hatchetfish
6 rasboras (glo-light and scissortail)

What do you think?

·
Registered
85 Posts
I would wait until it gets warmer out and fill the 75 outside and let it sit for a few days to make sure it does'nt leak. If it does, you could reseal it or go buy a new one.

·
Registered
481 Posts
A bigger tank is almost always better, easier to control parameters and of course more room for the fish to move around. I also take the quality of the glass into consideration, but, that is because one of my other hobbies is aquarium photography.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I had purchased a used 55 gallon tank at a garage sale for cheap, the center support across the top broke one day during a water change lukily the glass did not break just bowed out. It looked like I had a 55 gallon bowfront :D I replaced the tank and the new supports are more reinforced. If I were you I would get a new tank and use the old hood and lid, a few bucks up front might save you a giant mess later.

·
Registered
705 Posts
i would simply check it out. clean the glass really well and search for small cracks and fissures in the glass. any chips or missing peices should be reinforced with additional silicone. the older glass isnt (or shouldnt) be tempered. so it should be thicker to cope with the weight. any cracks or small breaks in the glass should be avoided (sooner or later they WILL expand) if you give it a good once over and try partially filling it u should be ok. so long as the top is still properly braced itll be ok. if its missing simply cut some of the plastic lip out and try to silicone some lexan in there to hold up some of the weight (bulletproof glass). *** purchased old tanks and have also seen antique tanks up and running 70 years later. dont worry so much just make sure ur not tossing hot water into cold glass and ull be ok. room temp or lower to test it would be prefered to reduce thermal expansion.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts