Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my 46 bowfront I have 13 Malawi Cichlids ranging in size from 1-3 inches, and a med bristle-nose pleco. 3 acei's (was 4 til one jumped out earlier this week), 4 yellow labs, 2 red fin albinos, 2 socolofis, and 2 cobalt blues. I keep the tank at 78F and ammonia and nitrate are at 0. Nitrate is ~40ppm.

Yesterday I noticed white spots on the aceis. It looked more like scrapes than ich at first, but now I am seeing a lot of small white dots that appear more like ich. all other fish showed no symptoms. The aceis were swimming slowly and hanging out in the corners or top of tank. Also noticed scratching behavior. Came home today with Rid-Ich+ to start treating the tank and found the bristle-nose pleco dead, without ich looking spots. I did a 25% water change and added 5 tsp of Rid-Ich+.

I have also started to notice very jerky swim behavior out of several other fish, lots of spasms and fast jerking/darting. The large albino who is the alpha of the tank and normally covers the whole tanks checking everyone out is swimming slowly and hanging out near the top, which is quite unlike him. I am also noticing some of the fish swimming at funny angles, straight up or sideways. I don't see any spots on any of the fish but the aceis.

I've dealt with Ich in reef tanks in the past, but the fishes behavior seems very odd this time. I plan to keep up the daily water changes and treating, but I am worried that I am about to lose all these fish.

Is this ich or another parasite? Is there anything I can do besides continuing to treat?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

Here are some pics of the aceis. not the best but hard to get a good image. I've also noticed that the other fish seem to be picking at the aceis, almost like there nibbling at their scales.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts