i have a tank with following dimensions
Length 6Ft
Hight 2.5 feet
width: 1.6 feet

filled with African cichlids

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
I've never heard of the first filter but I feel a 2217 is not big enough to filter a 6' tank by itself.

kevin

·
Registered
89 Posts
I second Ridley25. With a tank that long two filters might be useful for several reasons. First, more water circulation, and both ends get filtration. Second, if one filter goes out on friday night of a three day holiday, you're still (partially) covered until stores open. Third, multiple filters mean multiplying your options for media to meet conditions. So if phosphorous goes up, there's room for phos-sorb, etc.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
A little searching turns up the Boyu 45 as a canister with an empty GPH of 290 (or 1100 Litres per Hour)
The 2217 is rated at 264 GpH /1000 LpH.

I will make the assumption that the 2217 is of better construction than the Boyu since Eheims are equal or better than other European and North American manufacturers.

So considering their similarity in size, if you are starting with one filter, I would get the 2217.

But I would do two filters - an HOB would be cheaper second filter if you don't mind a little more noise.

Give this a read: Which Filter to Choose

kevin

·
Registered
252 Posts
Only having experience with the 2217's I would recommend them. Also, all previous posts about using at least 2 of them are right on target. If you are planning on getting fish as juvies and letting them grow in the tank 1 may be okay to start. But, you will most certainly need 2 sooner or later. Good Luck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts