Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. Im curious what kind of cichlid this might be. Its a female, but aparently the males look the same (or so Im told). A Friend of mine has a tank full of them, and doesnt have a clue what they are, aside from the fact that they are African and not American. Any help is appreciated!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Looks like all the kenyi's I have ever seen and from my (very little) experiance, they are pretty abundent on the market.

·
Registered
912 Posts
It is not even close to a 'Kenyi', the bars are far too numerous, they go all the way down the body to the bottom (on M. lombardoi they go about halfway and taper to a point), and the fish is completely the wrong color. Even hybrids that involve 'Kenyi' look more like the species than that fish.

To my eye, it appears to be some sort of hybrid, but it is in such an unhappy state that I doubt it is showing it's true color. If that is the true color of the fish, it is almost certainly some sort of hybrid.

·
Registered
6,001 Posts
Yeah...there's nothing kenyi about that fish. Looks like a hybrid to me as well...head shape looks more Labidochromis, not Metriaclima.

·
Registered
9,061 Posts
These are probably hybrids that were born in the friends tank. As the males are not that colorful either, these fish are not worth taking, even for free, if that is what you are thinking.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts