Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9,061 Posts
Malawi Mbuna, probably all hybrids. Sorry to be mean, but I don't see much potential as far as the fish even being that colourful. These were free and that is their value, dull vague hybrids. They might be sort of interesting, as they are cichlids, and they may fight and have territories, and breed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I suspected this may be the case, the kids love them which is the main thing, I'm not interested in their value financially, more why other fish I can put with them if you know what I mean. I was toying with some yellow labs to brighten the place up but don't want to cause WW3 in the tank

·
Super Moderator
40,487 Posts
What are the dimensions of the tank? Five of the same species like you already have could be the right number, depending on your tank size.

Since they are an unknown mix of mbuna species, it is hard to know what will be compatible, assuming your tank is 48" x 12" or larger.

·
Registered
9,061 Posts
Adding some Yellow Labs would be easiest. Some of yours look like Yellow Lab hybrids. They are compatible with most Mbuna if the tank is large enough, but would breed with any other Mbuna. If tank is not that large, don't add much.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for your advice everyone! They are currently housed in a 160l which is 1m by 40cm. I may have already developed a love for fish keeping that I never knew was in me, I'm driving my husband crazy

·
Super Moderator
40,487 Posts
The tank is small for mbuna, I would not add fish. Usually you want a 48" long tank as a starting place.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts