Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this is the wrong place to ask this, but I've been searching for hours trying to identify the species of Pleco (I have two of them) I have and I was hoping someone here might know where to go to find out. I've found hundreds of them, but none have the same markings.

This is the "common Pleco" my LFS sold me ...

Sorry for asking in the wrong place, but I figured it can't hurt to try here, since there are so many experts.

THANKS !!! :fish:

·
Registered
9,127 Posts
Looks like a common generic Pleco to me. The markings varies with mood and size. I don't see anything much in that pic out of the normal.

I would rather look for a Gibbiceps if you want a more interesting looking large cheaper Pleco, they are pretty common, often sold as "Sailfin Pleco". They breed all those large cheaper Plecos in outdoor mud ponds I believe. Wild caughts are probably more attractive on average than pond raised.

Other options...
"Bristlenose Plecos" sometimes have spotting but are usually not terribly attractive, but stay smaller and are still very hardy.
Chaetostoma "Spotted Bulldog Pleco" is attractive and a small excellent algae eater, but not that hardy long term. "Rubbernose Pleco" is similar and less attractive.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts