Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys!

I have a fish in my tank with a few white spots on the top of it's head. Can't tell if this is ick or not, all the other fish in my tank seem fine no spots. And all of them are eating and seem to be acting normal including the one with the spots. Going to add some pics to the post.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,854 Posts
It may be Ich if the white spots look like small grains of salt that stay stuck to the fish, if so follow one of the treatment methods in This article from the C-F Library.

Are you sure the spots are not just some of the substrate sticking to the fish? Sometimes fine light color substrate does stick to some fish if they've been digging in the sand.

Most people use the heat/salt combination to treat Ich in the aquarium for the full 10 days recommended but definitely read the entire article I linked to if you have scaleless fish or live plants that may not react well to salt treatment.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply. I have read that article.

Just can't really tell if it is ick or sand. I have white sand so that is what's making it hard. What scares me tho is that it's only on two fish, two that I just got. Should have quarantined them but don't have another tank for that yet.

I also have plants in the tank so not sure if the salt method would be a good idea.

Think I'll go to the pet store tomorrow and try some of the meds. Hoping that it doesn't stain my tank. Do you know if most meds for ick are safe for fry as I currently have four in my tank?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts