Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
912 Posts
Looks like a Cichlasoma species but the face is deformed, possibly a birth defect. Narrowing it down as to species would require some better photos so that we can see the spines in the anal, as well as knowledge of where the line originated in South America.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
I don't agree at all, that the face is deformed ........that is the look of very mature specimens of port Acara. Male's can develope a fairly large nauchal hump. Seen many in the past, as well as a couple large males that I had myself, developed that way...... odd especially in the mouth as the lower lip sometimes hangs out (mine ended up far worse in this regard then this one). Of course they don't start off looking that way, but develope over time.

Using the key in the Aqualog 'South American' Cichlids 3, it keys out as either Cichlasoma boliviense (3 anal spines) or Cichlasoma amazonarum(4 anal spines). The distinguishing characteristic being: "Dark spots or horizontal lines under the black middle-band in the posterior parts of the body". But as Chromedome points out, you really need to find out, not only how many anal spines, but where the line or fish originates from, in order to be absolutely certain what it is.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts