Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I believe this little fish might be a female red zebra from googling it, but not sure.
I ended up having to take my son's 50 gallon cichlid tank because of emergency and I am having a crash course on cichlids. I'm trying to figure out what this fish is to know if it will work in his tank.

·
Super Moderator
40,495 Posts
Welcome to Cichlid-forum! We cannot see your image.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
MindyM said:
I believe this little fish might be a female red zebra from googling it, but not sure.
I ended up having to take my son's 50 gallon cichlid tank because of emergency and I am having a crash course on cichlids. I'm trying to figure out what this fish is to know if it will work in his tank.

Here's the actual link to the image, not sure why it won't show.

·
Super Moderator
40,495 Posts
Looks like an estherae (red zebra) gender unknown. If your 50G is 48 inches long and there are no other fish in it, the estherae would survive there. How did you end up with an unknown mbuna and no tank for it?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I didn't buy the fish yet, wanted to buy to add to his tank.
He has a crazy set up of a mix of fish that is not supposed to be put together, but they have been living together for a few years. He has mbunas, haps, and peacocks. He does have one firemouth in there as well. No lectures please, I do know what he's done has gone against cichlid keeping rules. I'm just keeping them for him until he can move back to the state and take them back. I ended up having an issue with his aquarium, the center piece broke and it started to bow, so i replaced it with a 60 gallon, it is 48 inches long.

I just didn't want to put a female in there and start an all out war IF for some reason it could mate with his other fish.
What he has in there already is

1. Red Dragon. 2.Albino yellow lab. 3 Firemouth Meeki. 4. Pseudotropheus Elongotus 5. Zebra Obliquidens. 6.Cobalt blue zebra. 7. Sunshine. 8.Sulfurhead. 9.Lwanda. African. 10 Fuelleborni OB. 11. Auratus.
12 Electric blue Johanni. 13 Yellow tail acei. 14. Red empress 15. Red Jewel Cichlid.
16. Frontonsa.

·
Super Moderator
40,495 Posts
It can mate with the other fish. I would not add the new fish. Without meaning to lecture, if the tank is a 48x12 rectangle I would never put more than 15 fish in the tank and never auratus, johannii, fuelleborni, empress or frontosa.

If it is working fingers crossed and I would not change a thing.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you. I will not get it. He did have 20 fish in there. He left, his now ex girlfriend starved them and they started eating each other, so i took them. She ran out of food and never told me or bothered to get more food. Most of the fish ended up with inverted stomachs. We lost 3. They tore them up eating them. So I now have the tank, and, like I said, replaced with a slightly larger one.
He had said if I found a male hap or peacock i liked to add it if i wanted. I just get stressed with the aggressive behavior. He says keeping it overstocked reduces the fighting. I'm used to my blood parrots, semi agressive, but this insanity stresses me out. I'm worried his fish will kill each other while i have them. I know better than to do what he's done, but that's my son, push the envelope. He does have a lot of holey rock/cave area in there for hiding. I added 2 tall plastic plants and the haps seem to like to hang out there sometimes.

Thank you. I am wondering if that little red zebra would do ok for a couple months in a 10 gallon until he gets his fis and then i could put it in the 60 gallon? I have a 10 gallon with a few guppies that i could give my cousin.

·
Super Moderator
40,495 Posts
A 48x12 for all males I like no more than 10 males that mature at less than six inches. This is the right level of overstocking to manage aggression without crowding the fish.

As you said, the fish that are in there are not supposed to work. It's just luck that it has worked so far. Adding a fish, now or ever, can upset the balance.

A zebra is not a hap or peacock. Your brother is right that haps and peacocks are less aggressive in an all-male tank than mbuna like the zebra.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
He's got a few mbunas in there. They sure are nasty little buggers. What is suprising to me though is it's a peacock that is the most agressive fish in the tank. The Lwanda harasses them all. I can see wanting all these guys, they are all beautiful. Might be a bit rude to put them all together. Howver, I'm just babysitting. I'm going to be sad when they go home. I would start putting my own cichlids in there when he takes them, but i had 2 very small blood parrots that have grown up and it's time for them to be rehomed in a larger tank, so that will be their home once he gets his fish back. They've been in a 35 gallon tank. They were 1 inch. The female I've had for i think 4 years and the male for 2. She's almost 6 inches and he's 3. They need the big tank.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts