Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need help i dont know what fish i got, but they keep growing and not showing afra jalo reef blueish color and black stripes. Some one pliz

Fin Underwater Fish Marine biology Water

Water Organism Fish Fin Underwater

Water Fin Underwater Fish Marine biology

Water Underwater Fin Fish Marine biology

Water Organism Fin Fish Underwater

Wood Bedrock Trunk Tree Underwater

Tank with 3d bakcground
Water Blue Purple Liquid Fluid

Vertebrate Purple Organism Underwater Water

Water Blue Fish supply Pet supply Fluid

Water Pet supply Organism Fish supply Aquatic plant

·
Registered
60x18x24 1700gph argonite crushed mbuna
46 Posts
Id say YEP. Asumming its not a hybrid. Maybe hes looking pale in the close ups just matching substrate, also the pic in the cave its showing more banding in the face, what else is in there? There looks like a nice deep dominant red dorsal in one of the photos... 😆
The banding patterns alternating, also turning to the dosal.
Final conclusion from me its a afra sub adult coloring up.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Id say YEP. Asumming its not a hybrid. Maybe hes looking pale in the close ups just matching substrate, also the pic in the cave its showing more banding in the face, what else is in there? There looks like a nice deep dominant red dorsal in one of the photos... 😆
Thanks, but i think he´s already really big to show its real coloration. Never seen him in that blueish colour. :(

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have like 8 cynotilapia afra jalo reef (I think i do, i hope someone else tries to identify them)
-3 ACEIS yellow tail

·
Registered
9,100 Posts
Cynotilapia are variable, and can color up and down every day, but he should look normal with black bars at less some of the time. He is a dominant male, with dominant male fins and eggspots. Looks like a hybrid to me. What do your other ones look like?

A group of Jalo Reef pictures here, how males and females should look
Cynotilapia zebroides Jalo Reef

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cynotilapia are variable, and can color up and down every day, but he should look normal with black bars at less some of the time. He is a dominant male, with dominant male fins and eggspots. Looks like a hybrid to me. What do your other ones look like?

A group of Jalo Reef pictures here, how males and females should look
Cynotilapia zebroides Jalo Reef
I´ll send more pics at night, and maybe i could have all females :(

·
Registered
46 Posts
I havent got any afra in mine.
If you have lots of females thats a good thing!
Possibly a hybrid with a red top now you said it, where did you get them again?

·
Registered
9,100 Posts
Does remind me of a Greshakei, but isn't a pure Greshakei. Might be mixed with a Jalo Reef.

You could remove the unusual looking male, and see if you get another male to color up that looks more normal.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Could try a tempory rock shuffle with "ONE" cave and see who sizes who up over it..
Make a upside down triangle cave mouth.
Youll soon see which is dominant and sub dom..
I agree greshakei/afra mix still a lovely looking fish!
Dont share fry if they happen.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hello guys i took more pics last night, hope you can tell me what i have please. I want it to share them with you, and help me, IDENTIFYING mi cichlids please, thank you all. I really appreciated. Thats all the fish i have. All my afras not sure if they are females or males all of them, and the aceis. And the babies.That i dont really know what they are. None of this are their parents, so don´t bother now for them please.

Water Vertebrate Fin Fish Underwater

Water Organism Fin Underwater Fish

Water Vertebrate Organism Fin Fish

Water Underwater Organism Marine invertebrates Marine biology

Water Eel Underwater Organism Fin

Water Vertebrate Fin Underwater Organism

Water Fin Organism Underwater Fish

Water Fin Organism Coastal and oceanic landforms Body of water

Water Vertebrate Organism Fin Underwater

Underwater Organism Marine biology Water Fin

Water Natural environment Organism Marine invertebrates Underwater

Water Underwater Marine invertebrates Organism Marine biology

Organism Underwater Wood Marine biology Fish

Organism Underwater Eel Wood Aquatic plant

Attachments

·
Registered
46 Posts
Was gonna say the acei looks a lil different too.
What do you feed these guys?
Is the light super white/bright? Try to dim it a bit if so..
I 'think' they are maylandia greshakei X cynotilapia afra hybrid, pretty fish regardless!
Give them some brine shrimp.
My thinkings that afra are carnivourous/omnivourous so maybe there using there "camo" more to try hunt a little protien (fry, crustacians, larvea etc) and vecause theyre all similar age and feel safe there blending in together.
Just some theory...
Sometimes ill google what i think it is and then scroll every pic until i decide on what it ISNT..

·
Registered
46 Posts
Dont be sad! Its a nice looking fish, been looking for more red mbuna myself. Group of the red fin and yellow tailed acei would be nice open swimmers, hmmm. I like the red top ndumbi but cant find any..

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Dont be sad! Its a nice looking fish, been looking for more red mbuna myself. Group of the red fin and yellow tailed acei would be nice open swimmers, hmmm. I like the red top ndumbi but cant find any..
I know, but i want it my afra jalo reef not something hybrid, i know they look pretty, but looking for some real ones, hope they change color and could maybe be, afra jalo reefs.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts