Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After I added one pleco to my tank to help with alge, I noticed symptoms of ich on my tank and immediately begun to treat the tank with a product called ich-attack, increased the water temp to 82 F. Did a 50% water change the first day and 25% thereafter. (4 days so far)
The first fish that showed up ich was my convict followed by the tinfoil barbs, the catfish and the last ones to get it were the tiger barbs. The red blood parrot and the firemouth cichlids never got it. The first one to die was the pleco (Petsmart gave me a refund for the sick fish), the catfish was very weak and the firemouth killed him yesterday. Since I don’t have an additional tank I had to put one of my tinfoils on a nursing cage to protect him from the firemouth bully because she is not doing well at all. Some of the tiger barbs are doing better but their eyes are very cloudy looking.
I’ve been testing the water every day and all the parameters seem to be fine. The only thing is ph which is still low (readings below) and also took a water sample to Petsmart and they got the same results.
Ammonia (0) PH (6.80) Nitrite (0) Nitrate (0)
I don’t know what else to do now but to continue the treatment and hope that I do not lose any more fish. I’ll appreciate any suggestions you can provide.

·
Registered
6,001 Posts
Ich is very easy to cure. The water temp you have is not high enough...raise it to about 86-88°F and leave it there for at least two weeks. You don't really need to purchase/use the ich meds available...all you need is heat and regular aquarium salt. Use the salt as per the instructions combined with the heat, and it should clear it up.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
I think it worth mentioning that there are different variants of ich with different little buggers even smaller than ich living inside them. Some are easy to kill, some are not. Wish you the best but just keep at it. At some point it gives up and goes away but I found my last case was a bear to cure. I had the heaters maxed out and the fish were nearly pickled before I got good results. Read through the health and sickness section for some insight.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After losing four tiger barbs, one plecostomus and one catfish, today I can finally say that I won this battle and there is no more signs of ich on my tank. The last one to recover was the female barb, which is the only barb left and refused to eat for a few days but today was very active again.
And following your advice, I’ll keep the water temp on the tank high for one more week just to be on the safe side. Lesson learned! I’ll definitely stay away from Petsmart and will get the new fish at the same pet store where I got the other ones from. Thanks a lot to all of you for the support and advice on this. I love my fish and was very sad to see them dying. I wish this does not happen again to me or anybody else.

Fish count: 2 tinfoil barbs, 1 red blood parrot, 1 convict, 1 firemouth cichlid and 1 tiger barb.

today's readings.

Ammonia 0, PH 6.6, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 5.0, water temp 84.6 f

·
Registered
700 Posts
One great offense against ich is a good defense. Overstocking and stress cause it as well as adding new fish. I'm wondering how big your tank is.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts