Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I keep having trouble keeping plants. They always seem to die in at least two to 4 months. I am usually very good about turning on the light on for about 6 or 7 hours a day. When I do a water change put API plant food in the tank. I have noticed that the plants seem to get algae on the top part of the leaf and die or I even on one plant have very short stringy algae. My stock list is in signature along with filtration. My substrate is a mix of argonite (or something like this), pfs and some gravel. I checked my water quality recently and my ammonia, nitrate and nitrite are all at safe levels. I will have to look at my lighting so I can let you know what wattage and bulbs I have.

·
Super Moderator
4,129 Posts
Plants depend on a regular schedule for lighting - I recommend somewhere from 8-10h per day. If you want to have any chance of successfully keeping plants, you need to get a timer for the lights. Timers are available for around $5 at any hardware store - less than the price of many plants.

Another common problem is that pet stores sell terrestrial plants pretending that they can be grown under water while this is not the case. If you buy those plants, you are doomed from the outset. Please let us know what plants you have tried, and we can advise you if they are suitable.

In addition it is very important what lighting you are using. It doesn't need to be high tech. I have good success growing plants in a 75G with a double strip 4' fluorescent shoplight from Home Depot for under $10. I am using 6500K T8 tubes also from Home Depot, which are $7 for two tubes.

Last but not least, I'd stop adding plant food immediately. The fish you have in the tank will be producing plenty of plant food all by themselves. Any additional nutrients you ad will boost algae growth, which is actually bad for the plants, because algae on the leaves will block them from taking up light.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts