Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is red algae ok? It is red and fuzzy. Please let me know. I also have been having fish dying lately without any known causes does anyone have any ideas? My water parameters are perfect and the tank has been running for 2+ years. Please help.

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
rollin75 said:
Is red algae ok? It is red and fuzzy. Please let me know. I also have been having fish dying lately without any known causes does anyone have any ideas? My water parameters are perfect and the tank has been running for 2+ years. Please help.
What fish do you have in your tank? Tank dimensions and lighting? Any plants? CO2 or fertilizers? How often do you perform water changes and at what %? I'm sure your water parameters are fine but post from your latest test anyway just so it can be eliminated. How many hours lighting does the tank get in a day. Does the tank get any direct sunlight?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a 180 gallon fish tank. The lights are Odyssea 72" 384W Power Compact Light Fixture. No plants or CO2. I do water changes every week between 30% to 35%. I have two fluval 404 filters and one rena xp3 filter. As for fish Malawi about 50 fish ranging from 2" to 5" the parameters measure 0 for everything.

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
lol, well there goes that theory. What are your pH and Nitrate readings? Any recent additions to the tank just prior to the algae? From what I can gather, red algae is usually introduced into a tank and once in there, under the right conditions, will be fruitful and multiply. I haven't come across anything saying it could be bad for your tank however.

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
I had red algae in my 180 for a while, and it was the result of the lighting I was using. I changed out the bulbs and it went green. Red algae doesn't kill fish though. Not when left alone. I was reading something recently where certain algae can release toxins if scraped from the tank and left in the tank to die.

the parameters measure 0 for everything
What exactly is everything? What are your ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH, and KH levels?

Also watch closely for any aggression issues. Sometimes it's subtle, but still lethal. Are they dying overnight?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts