Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I just noticed that I have some babies in my tank. I have never had fish breed before. I have a red zebra (I think male) and a m. auratus (I think the female). What do I need to do? They look around 1/4" so I am guessing they have been in there a while. The m. auratus stopped eating for a while but is eating now. I guess she was holding them in her mouth then? Do I need to try and get the babies out? What is the best way? What kind of setup do I need for them? THey are all hiding in the rocks so its going to be hard to catch them, but it looks like the adults are trying to get them. What kind of food? Has anyone ever seen this combo before? How many babies do they typically have? Any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
If you want to keep em crushed flake would work. Seeing that they are hybrids plz don't sell or give them away. If you don't want them just leave em, chances are they will get eaten.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I would leave them to nature. You would be surprised how many will survive thru out the year leaving them in the tank. If you were certain they were not mutts then saving them could be considered.

In our mixed tanks one or three survive most spawns and that adds up over time Be Sure. When we cull our species tanks we throw the culls in these mixed tanks for nature to take its course and some of them survive.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts