Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I am in the process of acquiring the pieces to set up a 75-gal Mbuna tank. I have a new Jebo 4 x 55 pc light, but in reading about them, I don't want to use it for several reasons.

I have read that standard lighting is fine for Mbuna and displays colors well. I saw a standard fluorescent strip at Petco (about $125) that was pretty typical. Would that work?

If anyone has a specific link, that would help me greatly. I need 48 inches of light.

Also---going the standard strip light route.....do you generally sit the light on the glass or mount it on legs? In the past, I've done both.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
ProfBob said:
Hello all,

I am in the process of acquiring the pieces to set up a 75-gal Mbuna tank. I have a new Jebo 4 x 55 pc light, but in reading about them, I don't want to use it for several reasons.

I have read that standard lighting is fine for Mbuna and displays colors well. I saw a standard fluorescent strip at Petco (about $125) that was pretty typical. Would that work?

If anyone has a specific link, that would help me greatly. I need 48 inches of light.

Also---going the standard strip light route.....do you generally sit the light on the glass or mount it on legs? In the past, I've done both.
Lighting is personal preference. The fish don't care either way. Yes standard lighting is fine on a Mbuna tank. My 55g Mbuna tank has standard lighting and it looks great. My 180g Hap/Peacock tank has 2 dual T5 strips. Each unit has a standard T5 bulb and an actinic bulb. Gives a light blue hue and brings out the colors nicely.

Keep in mind that you can buy standard fluorescent lighting at Lowe's or Home for a lot less than $125.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So, rgr, regarding home depot.....do you need to construct some sort of mount for the light? Have you done this in the past?

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
ProfBob said:
So, rgr, regarding home depot.....do you need to construct some sort of mount for the light? Have you done this in the past?
Yes I did on a smaller tank before. I sat it right on top of the glass without a problem. You could hang it from your ceiling or attach it to a hood. A hood on the tank would be ideal cause it hides the uglyness of the lighting fixture. However I have seen some decent looking fixtures including some that had a diamond plated chrome look. I didnt do it this time cause I had a hard time finding a 6' fixture that was a T5 and they really don't carry 3' fixtures. So I ended up buying 2 three foot fixtures that were actual aquarium lighting. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
89 Posts
There was a question about using a home depot "utility light" and how to mount it.

I have a 55 gallon with about 100 platy fry half grown. I use a standard 2 bulb home depot utility light on it. I went to a local glass store, and bought a 1/4 inch pane of glass that covers the back half of the aquarium (9 inches) The light rests directly on the glass and works great. Anacharis stems growing at 1/4 inch per day. (floating)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the tips. I did see a shop light at Home Depot that said it was for "damp areas" and it had that nickel-plated look. Maybe I can get some wall mounts and sit the light above the tank. Hmmmmm. Interesting.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts