Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I came home today to five dead Acei's. Only that breed died. But the others are seeming stressed. Not sure what flasing means but they are hanging out near currnt, darting, scatching . Can't see any signs of spotting. Did a 50% Water change and tried to raise temp. Had water tested and all levels are fine but Nitrites were a smidge high, Nitrates the same. Ammonia 0, PH 8.2., temp is around 76 which is a little low so I am trying to gradually increase. Not sure how to tell if it is a parasite or bacteria or anything for that matter. Looking for suggestions or thoughts.

·
Registered
7,008 Posts
Hi

Need a little more information.

Did the fish seem to improve, even temporarily, after you did the water change? By improve I mean did they begin to swim around normally as opposed to staying in the current and scratching? Or did they seem to become more stressed after the water change?

How long has your tank been set up?
How big is your tank?
How many fish and what species of fish?
Have you added any new fish recently?
When was the last time you noticed the Acei eating and swimming normally?
What kind of dechlorinator do you use?
Do you regularly add anything to your tank--ph adjuster, algae killer--etc.

Robin

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Didn't seem to have much relief. I a 55 gallon, set up and established for 5 years in the same location. I had 5 acei cichlids, two clown loaches, 5 red top trewavase, three electric yellows. In the last 8 days I have lost both loaches, all five acei and 1 tewavase. I currently have four red tops and three electric yellows left. I do not have a quarantine tank but am thinking about getting one on the way home so I can possibly treat whatever this is. The acei's were added about a week ago and that may have been my trouble. However, i need to figure out what to do next. Want to get a starter kit 10 gallon because it is easier to treat and more cost effective of course. Just not sure exactly how quickly I can set the quarantine tank up and how I should do it exactly. I want to break down the larger tank and clean it and all items inside. At this point I have no idea how many fish I will have left when I get home. all fish ate yesterday morning. By the time I got home all acei dead. Store brans water conditioner is used when doing water changes, which I do weekly. Used PH 8.2 buffer a week ago when I did the water change to bring the ph up to normal. Temp is usually at 78-80. I also add stress coat to the water when doing water changes but no other chemicals.They eat a vegetable protein flake food daily and once a week i feed a brine shrimp spurilina(?) frozen cube dissolve inthe tank water before releasing in the tank. Not sure what the best method is to clean the structures. I use limestone rock, plastic plants and plastic wood structures for decor. Hope any of this information helps. I hate to lose the little guys! All are juvenile as well.

·
Registered
7,008 Posts
I'm a little confused--sorry.
Your initial post said you'd only lost the acei
I came home today to five dead Acei's. Only that breed died.
but the most recent post said
In the last 8 days I have lost both loaches, all five acei and 1 tewavase. I currently have four red tops and three electric yellows left.
Since so many fish ailment share similar symptoms it's really helpful to know what symptoms were observed and when and if all fish that died showed the same symptoms and also if the fish died quickly or it took a few days or more.
all fish ate yesterday morning. By the time I got home all acei dead.
When fish go from eating and swimming normally to death in a very short period of time, (24hours) the first things you suspect is either a toxin in the water or an aggressive tank mate. Did the other fish who died also go quickly?
What are you using to test your water? Do you have a reading for Ammonia? Nitrate? It will help to know.

I would NOT rush to treat these fish or take down the tank--from the info you've given so far it doesn't sound like a disease. Did you observe any symptoms after using the PH up product? Did the fish tend to stay closer to the surface after using it?

Robin

·
Registered
509 Posts
Ladybell said:
Had water tested and all levels are fine but Nitrites were a smidge high, Nitrates the same. Ammonia 0, PH 8.2., temp is around 76 which is a little low so I am trying to gradually increase.
What exactly were the levels of nitrite and nitrate?

While ammonia is the most toxic nitrite and nitrate are also toxic at given concentrations.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Robin,

Sorry for the confusion. You'll just have to blame that on my being tired at 12 am in the morning. I spent a day and a half driving 950 miles. Thus was not there to witness myself, their behavior prior to yesterday evening when I got home. My husband fed them and claimed them all to eat and be normal yesterday morning.

When i noticed on Sunday the two loaches and one of the trewavase were dead I removed them, inspected them (one loach had visible signs of damage to the body - the others, no visible issues) and then did a water change. Treated as decribed above. As for the death of the loaches and the trewavase I would have to speculate 24-48 hours. I felt there could be an agressor based on the one loach but couldn't be 100% sure. I use individual test tubes with the appropriate solutions for PH, Nitrite/Nitrates, Amonia and so forth. I took the Acei back to the store where purchased and also took a water sample in case my readings were off or my solutions aged and everything matched up the same. 0 amonia, Smidge over on nitrite and nitrate (hardly alarming), ph at 8.0/8.2 and GH and other test matched up ok. Last night I did observe two of the fish swimming towards the top of the tank. I did not add the ph up last light after the water change as it was within a manageable level. Only stress coat and water conditioner. They all appear to be flashy and darting and stressed with the exceptio of one or two that appear normal. Hope this clears up some of the confusion. I was rather tired and apparently unable to put it all into words.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nitrite 25 ppm / Nitrate 5.0. I felt doing a water change would improve this small of a difference so that is the only action taken so far.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I will sign on in a bit. Going home now to check on the tank and test everything. I will let you know more once I get there. Thanks for trying to help me with this. I really do appreciate any input or thoughts you guys may have.

·
Registered
7,008 Posts
Nitrite should be 0--if that number is correct then we've found your problem. Nitrite is extremely toxic to fish. And even if you've mixed up the nitrate/nitrite numbers above--and the nitrite is 'only' 5.0--still a big problem for your fish.

Partial water changes will help and you really want to be using a dechlorinator that detoxifies nitrite--use it at the dosage they recommend on the package to detoxify. Adding Aquarium salt at the rate of 2 teaspoons per ten gallons will also help detoxify nitrite. Feed sparingly until the water conditions stabilize. (Regular table salt will work if you don't have Aquarium salt--ideally the kind that has no additives. The grocery store usually has kosher or pickling salt--cheap and usually no additives) Give your substrate a good siphoning, too.

And on the ph--you may not even need to be messing with it. These fish will be fine in any ph over 7.0--what they don't like is a ph that fluctuates. What is your ph straight out of the tap? Test a sample after it's been sitting overnight. It's probably fine as is.

Robin

Seachem Prime and Amquel Plus are both good dechlorinators and good to have on hand when you've got ammonia or nitrite.

no problem on the driving induced confusion. :) Just hope we can help your fish.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well for the sake of argument, I went to get a new master test kit. THe one I have is old and may not be as accurate. So based on the tests I just performed. Ammonia 0ppm, PH is 7.8, Nitrite 0ppm and Nitrate is 5.0 ppm at present. I did add the aquarium salt as recommended. I will do a test on the tap water tonight like you mention and double check it's reading also. At the moment I am waiting. As for the fish at this very moment, the yellow labs look less stressed. Not darting and flashing. One more trewavase is dead and the other three still appear stresssed some but not as much. Not flashing and darting but one is stay under the currant of the filter and the other two are on either end of the tank. One swimming high in the corner and the other about mid tank in the opposite corner. Labs are looking much better thus far.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just to update, I have determined there was a parasite attacking my fish. I started medicating the tank and have seen large improvements in all fish. We are not out of the woods just yet but I think i might be able to save the five that are left. I just want to say thanks for the help and just know I appreciate all the input.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts