Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought 2 Electric blue Ahli when I bought them they were both the same color metalic black with white on top that ran from their head one was a bit smaller then the other about half inch. Now one is super metalic and the other is turning black. Is this because of dominance or what. What can I do put him in a separate tank to see if color returns. He eats and is active but just alot darker then the other.

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
Sounds like they are hormoned. How big were they when you got them? What sized tank are they in, dimensions and volume? What else are they in with?

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Im they used to be blue now one is turning blackish. they are in a tank 4ft long 1ft wide 1.5 ht with yellow labs 1 snow white socolofi and some zebra

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
If they were that size, and in a tank with a bunch of mostly coloured males, they were definitely hormoned. Once the hormone wears off, they'll fade back to juvenile colouration for the most part, but often will go through a dark phase. Sometimes the hormoning proves lethal, and the death rate for these fish is higher than average. Sometimes these fish were actually females, and never gain the colour back.

Typically only a very dominant male will get full colour by the size that your fish were, when you bought them. Perhaps you'll be lucky and they'll regain this colour as they mature.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.