Cichlid Fish Forum banner

Help determine final species for my tank

438 views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  jschwab45212 
#1 ·
I have a 120 gallon 4x2x2 tank, currently it has

6 x Labidochromis caeruleus (2"-2.5")
6 x Pseudotropheus sp. "Acei" (Msuli) (2.5"-3")
9 x Melanochromis cyaneorhabdos (1"-2")

I'm looking to add a 4th Mbuna species to finish out the stocking I'd like it to be a different color than my current species. I was thinking about Rusties but the females look pretty blan, would like a species that has decent looking females. Also a species that is pretty common and not something rare (expensive) and to find.

#6 ·
As far as the white top hara go, you could run into the "expensive" constraint there. I searched for quite a while just to find some (all the popular online sites were out except one that had only males for outrageous prices). I did find juvies finally, but still, shipping and price got up there. If you go white tops, PM me.

#7 ·
I don't find rusty females to be bland. Maybe they dont show the purple hue, but they still have the orange/rust coloration like the males. I think they would work well with your other species.

#8 ·
DrgRcr said:
I don't find rusty females to be bland. Maybe they dont show the purple hue, but they still have the orange/rust coloration like the males. I think they would work well with your other species.
I agree. If you are interested in the male rusty coloration get some. The dominant male is typically the one fish in my tank everyone comments on.

#9 ·
Yes I really like the male Rusty coloration, I will try and find some, seem to be rare in my area right now. There is I member on a local forum that has a holding female, but obviously it would be a while to get those fry.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.