Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 120 gallon 4x2x2 tank, currently it has

6 x Labidochromis caeruleus (2"-2.5")
6 x Pseudotropheus sp. "Acei" (Msuli) (2.5"-3")
9 x Melanochromis cyaneorhabdos (1"-2")

I'm looking to add a 4th Mbuna species to finish out the stocking I'd like it to be a different color than my current species. I was thinking about Rusties but the females look pretty blan, would like a species that has decent looking females. Also a species that is pretty common and not something rare (expensive) and to find.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
I'd say red zebras, but they'll hybridize with your yellow labs. They're common, though. How about albino socolofi? I don't really like albino fish, but a number of people here tend to be fond of them and recommend them.

·
Registered
107 Posts
dude I'd try some sick Metriaclima zebra type fish. I like them cause they're robust, and there's lots of strains that have nice ob patterns.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I would do either albino socolfi or white top hara..

I think coloration of both will contrast your other fish pretty well

·
Registered
142 Posts
As far as the white top hara go, you could run into the "expensive" constraint there. I searched for quite a while just to find some (all the popular online sites were out except one that had only males for outrageous prices). I did find juvies finally, but still, shipping and price got up there. If you go white tops, PM me.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I don't find rusty females to be bland. Maybe they dont show the purple hue, but they still have the orange/rust coloration like the males. I think they would work well with your other species.

·
Registered
509 Posts
DrgRcr said:
I don't find rusty females to be bland. Maybe they dont show the purple hue, but they still have the orange/rust coloration like the males. I think they would work well with your other species.
I agree. If you are interested in the male rusty coloration get some. The dominant male is typically the one fish in my tank everyone comments on.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes I really like the male Rusty coloration, I will try and find some, seem to be rare in my area right now. There is I member on a local forum that has a holding female, but obviously it would be a while to get those fry.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts