Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

If you could help ID the following fish it would be appreciated. I'm looking for the complete technical and common name for each. I have only made some guesses from pictures online, but need help confirming.

#1 - looks like an Aulonocara or Copadichromis of some type, but maybe still too young to ID? My guess is an Aulonocara Stuartgranti 'blue neon'

#2 - I'm really hoping this one is a peacock or hap of some type. It has the yellow line on it's head so it could be a Sulphur. Perhaps a Sulphur Head Copadichromis Azureus? Is there such a fish?

#3 - I'm thinking a Aulonocara Steveni? If so what common name? Mbama?

#4 - This one could be too young to ID but it has some red on it's shoulder. I'm guessing it could mature to be a Aulonocara Hansbaenchi?

#5 - this is probably an easier to ID. My guess from other photos online is an Aulonocara Jocobfreibergi 'Eureka Red'?

I hope the pics taken are clear enough for you to judge. If it's not please let me know and I will post more pictures. Thanks.

·
Registered
9,068 Posts
Were these from a random unmarked tank?

1 and 4 seem the same. Not sure, except your guesses all seem wrong. Not Copidichromis. If Aulonocara, the closest would be A. korneliae. Body shape seems wrong thou. Seems unlikely that you would find a very rare Aulonocara. Lethrinops?... they are not that common but have been getting more available. I dunno.

2 is hormoned for artificial temporary color, very unnatural looking fish. Not Azureus. Only choices would be O. lithobates or S. fryeri.

3. Does seem like the "steveni" type of Peacock. There is more than one location thou, like 4 different ones with black dorsals.

5. "Eureka" is as good a guess as you are going to get. This may have been hormoned also. Not a natural looking Jacobfreibergi.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
noki said:
Were these from a random unmarked tank?
These are fish I currently have in my tank.

noki said:
1 and 4 seem the same. Not sure, except your guesses all seem wrong. Not Copidichromis. If Aulonocara, the closest would be A. korneliae. Body shape seems wrong thou. Seems unlikely that you would find a very rare Aulonocara. Lethrinops?... they are not that common but have been getting more available. I dunno.
You are right. I uploaded the wrong photo. Should have been this photo for #1. This will probably confuse everyone now.

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
Number one (and old number 4) kind of reminds me of a young male Placidochromis sp. "blue otter". But only a few of those have so many yellow eggspots on the anal and few I look up of have em in the dorsal or tail.
Except maybe Thumbi West Island but thats a rare and sort after fish. :-?

·
Premium Member
3,013 Posts
#2 I'm thinking Otopharynx Lithobates
#3 I'm thinking Aul. Lwanda or Walteri

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Kanorin said:
#2, I have accepted him as an Otopharynx Lithobates. Thank you Kanorin and noki
Question, would he be considered a Hap?

#3, I was leaning towards Aul. Steveni because of the black dorsal fin with white tips. I'm still on the fence.

Anyone have any thoughts about new #1?

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
des said:
Kanorin said:
#2, I have accepted him as an Otopharynx Lithobates. Thank you Kanorin and noki
Question, would he be considered a Hap?

#3, I was leaning towards Aul. Steveni because of the black dorsal fin with white tips. I'm still on the fence.

Anyone have any thoughts about new #1?
#2 appears to be a hybrid Scieanochromis fryeri, not an O. lithobates.

#3 A. steveni isn't a valid name. Aulonocara stuartgranti is the proper name, though they are often call steveni. I believe it is probable that your fish is the Hongi Island variant.
http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/s ... hp?id=1396

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Fogelhund.

#2- this fella does not have any bars to point him being a Scieanochromis Fryeri. The O. Lithobates have the dark spots just like him. I'm going to have to hop back on the fence and wait to hear more opinions.

#3- I think you are right. That link with the photo of a Aul. Stuartgranti 'Hongi Island' does show same patterns and colours.

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
des said:
Thanks Fogelhund.

#2- this fella does not have any bars to point him being a Scieanochromis Fryeri. The O. Lithobates have the dark spots just like him. I'm going to have to hop back on the fence and wait to hear more opinions.
The spots are typical for the hybrids. The body shape is wrong for a lithobates, particularly the slope of the head.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Fogelhund said:
The spots are typical for the hybrids. The body shape is wrong for a lithobates, particularly the slope of the head.
I learn something new. In my case, this is not good for me. New #1 must be a hybrid as well. He's got a few spots as well :( I was trying so hard to keep everything pure. At least now I know what to look for.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts