Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently started an all-male Peacock/Haps tank. Fish include one of each: Cobue, Ngara Flametail, Ruby Red, Albino Ruby Red, Benga Sunshine, Otopharynx Lithobates Z Rock, and Electra Deep Water Hap. They are all around 4" and are in my 55 gallon tank.

The problem is I can't decide which rockwork I like more . . . the 1st one or 2nd setup. I know that it's my tank and it's what I like, however, I would like other fishkeepers' opinions help me make a decision.

Please let me know which one you like and think these fish would prefer.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I like the 2nd setup better. I'm not sure I can put my finger on why other than to simply say I like the look of it better.

I would worry about the stability of the 1st setup with the stacked rock on the two ends, but I wouldn't say that's what makes it visually less appealing to me.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What I liked about the 1st setup was that the rocks kind of hid the intakes in each corner. My thinking was also that maybe the peacock/haps would swim more in the open space in the middle displaying their beauty. I didn't give it enough time to see if that would happen.

With the current rockwork (pic #2), I agree, it does look more natural. Also, there don't seem to be any territorial aggression.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I would pile them up high in the middle. I would think you will have less aggression because it wont be as easy for them to defend a spot in the pile as it would be in the corner. Plus it will give them a chance to get out of each others site if need be. Just something to think about. Also dont forget that you have to re arrange to add fish anyway so you can all ways change it up. Good luck, nice rock!

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
I like the first idea better. Sets up territories at each end, open swimming space in the middle, and has balance, gives the illusion of a larger space.

Thou, I'm not a big fan of the all light sand and rocks together.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.