Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so my boyfriend is a fish guru but i decided to start my own ten gallon with 4 small peacock gudgeons and 6 small albino catfish (no i cant remember proper terms); we had a 20 gallon with 3 sponge filters that was used to raise 7 killi fish eggs in, and since they are about 2 inches we put them in a 55 gallon about 2 weeks ago; maybe less. My question is can i use some water from the 55 gallon to fill my ten gallon ,about 30%, and a gal or so from the 20 gallon, use primed water for the rest, and use the same 3 sponge filters? Are the sponge filters still cycled after running in the 20 gallon for about two weeks with no fish? :-?
Should i steal 1 of 4 filters out of the 55 gallon and put it in the ten gallon?
I would like to pretend like i know what im doing so lets not tell my boyfriend about this lol :p

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
I wouldn't bother adding water from the other tanks. Bacteria live on surfaces so the water from the other tanks will do nothing in helping to cycle your 10 gallon. The bacteria from the filters in the 20 gallon might have died from not being fed in two weeks but if you have access to some ammonia (unscented without surfactants) you could see if the tank processes 1-2 ppm of ammonia in 24 hours (both ammonia and nitrite readings should be 0 after this time period if the tank is cycled).

Alternatively, you could, as you're considering, put one of the 55 gallon filters into the 10 and replace it with one of the ones from the 20. You might get an ammonia or nitrite spike in the 55 so you want to monitor the ammonia and nitrite levels in that tank for a few days to make sure it's okay.

Regardless of how you go about cycling the 10 gallon, I'm not sure it'll be able to handle the bioload you're considering adding to the tank. Your choices are pretty limited with a 10 gallon.

Hope that helps in impressing your boyfriend. :)

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well my fish actually arrived today i just got them out of the mail box, they are sitting on top of the 55 gallon adjusting temperatures, and my bf gets home in about 2 hours, so if i dont get it set up before then he will take the reigns :( I wont put one of the 20 gallon sponge filters in the 55, there are 20 cyp. lep kitumbas 7 killi fish and 5 F0 catfish ( i cant for the life of me remember their name!) so im not going to risk spikes in there (he would kill me lol) but the catfish are the only thing stopping me from putting my new fish in the 55. they already killed 2 corys. and they are huge compared to my new lil guys.

so it would be fine to just take one of the filters out of the 55 and put it in my ten without replacing it with one from the 20 gal?

i wish i could remember the name of the catfish to see if someone knows if they are compatible with the gudgeons and albinos :?

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
goldoccie21 said:
so it would be fine to just take one of the filters out of the 55 and put it in my ten without replacing it with one from the 20 gal?
The spike, if it happens, will be caused by taking out the filter from the 55 not by replacing it with the one from the 20. If you're going to take it out, you're better off replacing it.

If you don't want to mess with the 55 too much, the other thing you can do is set up the 10 with one of the filters from the 20 and get it all set up (conditioned water heated to the right temperature, filter running). Then take one of the sponge filters from the 55, remove the sponge and squeeze the daylights out of it into the 10. This will seed it with beneficial bacteria. The tank will at least cycle much more quickly (if the bacteria in the filter from the 20 are dead) by seeding in this way. Add your fish and monitor the parameters closely. If you see the ammonia spiking, you'll need to have the bucket ready to do some water changes (shouldn't be too hard with a 10 gallon).

Obviously, once you've seeded the tank with the sponge squeezing you want to set up that sponge filter back up again and put it back in the 55. Do it quickly so that the sponge doesn't get dried out and get the bacteria killed.

Keep us posted if you want more help.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The spike, if it happens, will be caused by taking out the filter from the 55 not by replacing it with the one from the 20. If you're going to take it out, you're better off replacing it.
ohh ok :oops: lol

well that should be perfect! all three of the sponge filters in the 55 need to be 'cleaned' they are PACKED with bacteria. I had heard my bf talking about them needing to be 'cleaned' today so maybe i could give each of them a lil squeeze in the ten gallon and be good to go?

I already filled the ten with water and put 2 of the 20 gal sponge filters in it along with the heater.

thx for taking the time to help me :thumb: [/quote]

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
I've gone a few weeks with empty tanks, and not had a problem. Just don't feed the first day and monitor water parameters. There are variables, of course, so no guarantees.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for the input, i went ahead and put them in the tank, i had taken some water from the twenty gallon and put it in there, which had live worms in it (not a bad kind, the feeding kind) from when the killis were in it and guess what!? theyre eating them!! :dancing:

I am not worried at this point; my bf will be home in about twenty min so if theres anything wrong he will easily fix it
if theres not anything wrong then i look like a bad*** 8)
ill update on the verdict when he gets here and maybe ill post some pics later

·
Registered
623 Posts
Sounds good. Should be alright in my opinion. I actually just set up my bowfront 55 today. Took water from my 90 and filled it half way. I'm doing a semi habitat. Just grabbed one of my filter pads and put it in the tank beside my filter to help it cycle. I'm going to wait a week before I put anything in. Just going to continue decorating it for now.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
hope everything works out for you chunkanese
Well i ended up putting the other filter from the 20 gal in the ten and when my bf came home he said "OMG u put ALL THREE filters in there!?" yes. yes i did. LOL
But upon close examination i did not receive what i was promised, it should have been 2 pair of the gudgeons but instead i got 3 males and one female that has a crooked tail :x so i contacted the seller to try and fix it. :thumb:
but other than that everythings great!
ammonia and nitrites are great, fish look good (other than the female) and the catfish wont stop eating the worms .
i didnt decorate so im going to slowly add sand everyday and soon ill have one swanky lil tank :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts