Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I just got some new rusty cichlids in my tank. The one male is gorgeous and close to 5 inches...

Now to my problem, I have a male yellow lab that terrorizes the rusty.What should I do?

The rusty is already missing some scales... I have another tank should I seperate the rusty and wait for him to heal up?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Maybe if you change the decoration of your tank, they reorganize de domination in the diferent territories and the male yellow lab will stop that behavior. I recomend, when you introduce new specimens, turn off the light and change the decoration, because that will force them to re-organize their territories.

Rewards

·
Premium Member
3,013 Posts
What's your tank size and the rest of the stocklist? Do you have any females for the male yellow lab in the tank?

It is worth noting that some fish sold as "yellow labs" or "electric yellows" are actually hybrid fish which are mixed with more aggressive species. I would not expect the average male yellow lab to be aggressive towards other species, however there is the occasional hyper-aggressive individual.

I think you should move one of them to a different tank before it gets any worse - I'd vote to move the YL because you are likely to see the same aggression reoccur if you move the rusty, heal him, then reintroduce him.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts