Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been dealing with alot of brown/red algae. Within 3 days of changing the filter cartridges, they clog up and water runs over the top. I do a 20% water change once a week. I turn the light on for 4 hours a day. The tank does not get any direct light from outside. I bought some Algone and have placed that in my filter, and i also have cleaned the whole tank, rocks, plants, and swept the gravel. Still the filter clogs. Now, i just bougt a test kit for nitrates, alkalinity, hardness, ph. The nitrate level is around 60, and the alkalinity is 300. The tank water has a brown tinge to it, not very clear. Any suggestions on how to correct these problems would be greatly appreciated!!

·
Registered
211 Posts
How long has your tank been running? Your nitrates are still high. What size is it and how many fish do you have? Your nitrates are still high, the volume of water changed needs to be increased.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
You may be over feeding.

Also, test your tap water if that is what you are using for your partial water changes.

Alicem

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have 25 fish in a 60 gallon tank. It has been 2 weeks since the plant and rock cleaning.

·
Super Moderator
1,860 Posts
Rocko, please give us a little more info.
1. Tank size=60 gallons
2. Filter model=
3. Fish=what kind and approximate size
4. Food brand & how often you feed=
5. How long has this tank been running?=
6. Water parameters:
Ammonia=
Nitrite=
Nitrate=60 :eek:
pH=
gH=
kH=300?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
1. Tank size=60 gallons
2. Filter model= Whsiper 60
3. Fish=what kind and approximate size - Veggie flakes, 1" sticks
4. Food brand & how often you feed= Once a day, Tetra sticks & Veggie flakes - I bought the flakes in bulk, not sure of the manufacturer. But one thing i notice, is once the fish start to eat, it seems like the flakes explode into little particles everywhere. What kind of food do you recommend?? It does seem like this is a struggle point.
5. How long has this tank been running?= Tank has been running over 1 yr.
6. Water parameters:
Ammonia=
Nitrite= low
Nitrate=60
pH= 8.1
gH= Hardness was 75
kH=300?

I did test the tap water, nitrates were very low.

·
Super Moderator
1,860 Posts
The Whisper 60 filter is rated for up to a 60 gallon tank. You should consider getting additonal filtration based on the type of fish you have.

You really shouldn't have any Nitrites on this tank if its cycled unless you are cleaning the filter cartridges in tap water and/or are excessively cleaning your gravel. I don't think the excess fish food would cause these to increase.

Also your Nitrate is a bit high for my taste. I would do PWC's (partial water changes) every day til they were lower, about 25% each time.

What kind of fish do you have? If they are cichlids, you might want to use a pellet type food instead of flakes. You just need to get the appropriate size pellets for your fish.

Do you have an ammonia test kit? Really should get one.

Do you know the names of the fish you have? This would help pinpoint your problem. Or post a picture of your tank & we could try & guess what they are.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am now doing the water change everyday to bring the nitrates down.
No, i do not have an ammonia kit, but will pick one up tomorrow.
I do rinse the filters out in tap water, just because they clog up in 3 days. What is your advice on that. Do i just let them go, or change them out? What causes the filters to plug like that?

Fish, yes they are cichlids. Firemouth, green terrors, jack dempseys, red devil, not sure of the names of the other ones.

By the way, Thank You you guys have already been a big help.

·
Registered
208 Posts
The chlorine/chloramine in tap water can kill off the beneficial bacteria on your filter media, which is why I think you should only use tank water or conditioned water for rinsing off filter debris

·
Registered
355 Posts
Rocko said:
I do rinse the filters out in tap water, just because they clog up in 3 days. What is your advice on that. Do i just let them go, or change them out? What causes the filters to plug like that?

Fish, yes they are cichlids. Firemouth, green terrors, jack dempseys, red devil, not sure of the names of the other ones.
So you have 25 of those fish in a 60 gallon with only a whisper 60 as a filter.!!??
No wonder you have problems.
You are way overstocked and under filtered. Get rid of a bunch of fish, and get more filtration, alot more.
If not, you will always have problems, even if you do water changes everyday for the rest of the fish's life. (which won't be long in those conditions).
And no, don't clean your filter sponges in tap water, do it in the removed tank water.
That many fishes poo causes the filters to plug so fast.

Boomr

·
Registered
285 Posts
25 fish is ok in a 60 gallon... but not the fish you have. In 1, 60 gallon tank, I wouldn't put more than 2 Jack Dempsy. Hardly any other fish + 2 jacks and you are stocked in my opinion.

Definitely, choose some smaller Mbuna to start with, you are quite overstocked.

Green Terrors, Jack Dempsy, and Red Devils... all of them can not be in a 60 gallon together for long. Choose 1 of those 3, and then add some other Mbuna (lake Malawi - what most pet stores carry) if you want. Long term - any of those 3 fish listed could kill off the others in your tank. They are great "wet pets" if you want 1 fish in your 60 gallon tank.

Personally, I hate them.... heh. I like a mix of fish - 20 or so in a 60 gallon tank. There are so many more options to me, than just 1 fish. Trust me, with a JD, GT, or Red Devil, you can only have 1 of those species in a 60 gallon tank... and probably only 1 of that species. You might get away with 2 or 3 of the same species, but definitely not long term.

Hope this helps. If you get rid of the fish, post back here and we can help you set up something that will work better. you will need a different filter for African Cichlids also. The fish you have now would require at least 4 or 5 of the filters you have.

·
Super Moderator
1,860 Posts
Rocko, I second the advice everyone has given. The water changes will help tremendously but with those type fish in that size tank, you will be doing water changes every day to keep the nitrates and ammonia down.

Just take a 5 gallon bucket of fish tank water & swish your filter cartridge around til it looks cleaner. Then put back in the filter. Though you really need to add another filter or get rid of at least half the fish you have.

Keep posting back with what you are doing. We are here to help you keep your fish healthy, answer any questions and also help you to enjoy your fish.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Once again, Thank You guys for all your help. Since then, i have gotten rid of 16 fish. We are down to 11. That is where i plan to stay. Looking at getting a filter for a 110 gl tank. So far the water has been maintaining well. :)

·
Registered
82 Posts
Rocko,

If you reduced the number of fish you have by half that will help the situation. The amount of food and waste being drawn into your filter is most likely your number one cause for the algae explosion and clogged filter. I wasn't a big fan of UV sterilization, but it helped clear up my tank within a few days. Also, more filtration! You may want a filter that can handle 1 1/2 to 2 times the capacity of your tank.

Have you considered a larger tank? A 100 gallon or bigger tank would allow you to keep most if not all of your fish, but you you need more filtration.

Ted

·
Registered
71 Posts
just askign a quick question on top of this topic.. I have roughly about 42 Assorted types of peacocks in my tank rangeing from 1 inch to 4 inchs. (most fish are in the 3 inch range) I am running a xp3 and xp2 would u consider that overstocked in a 75 gal tank.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I'd say you are very over-stocked. There is an equation out there somewhere. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm a little off, but if I recall, its one 1/2 inch of fish per 1 gallon of water.

Ted

·
Registered
71 Posts
if that is the is the equation for how much fish u have i would also agree i would be abit over stocked too lol but like. my levels are all good and i have alot of live plants and i jsut overkilling filterration so i dontk now i will see how things go.. but thanks for your equation. if i get bored tonight i will roughly put a guess of the total amount of inchs i got in the tank.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ok, things were going better, now the tank is getting cloudy. That is 3 days after the overhaul. Here are the checks.
Nitrates 30
Nitrites .5
Hardness 75
Alkalinity 150
PH 8.0

Any more ideas?
I looked for any dead fish, don't see any.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ok, now the water is getting cloudy, filters have clogged in 3 days since the major overhaul. They were new filter bags. Looking at new filters online. The Whisper 60 moves 330gph, which is what i have. I have looked at Eheim canister filters, the $200 one only pumps 264 gph. Would that be better?? Really looking for any suggestions on filters. The tank is a hexagon, so there is only room for a 13 1/2" wide filter.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts