Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I have a african cichlid, the anus looks like its ripped or protruding. Hes currently still eating and acting normal. Does anyone what this is or how to cure it. Also would be great if someone can give me the name of the cichlid.
Thank you.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,861 Posts
It looks like a prolapse to me. Do you happen to have a spare tank and filter to use as a quarantine tank?

Using plain, unscented Epsom salt at a rate of 1Tablespoon per 5 gallons of water will help to reduce the swelling. Thoroughly dissolve the Epsom salt in water before adding to the tank.

If you don't have a separate tank to use, you can use the main tank as the treatment tank. It is recommended to add the dissolved mixture over the course of 5 to 6 hours and monitor the fish for adverse reactions. You really should NOT see any problems using Epsom salt.

What other fish are in this tank and how many gallons/litres is the tank?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi, thank you for the information, I did have a quarantine tank but its now holding fry since last week. The tank is 80 gallons with mix of african cichlids and 2 clown loaches. I fed them frozen peas after boiling and remove skin for the first time yesterday.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Looks like a Nyererei to me, I have a couple in a mixed mbuna haps and peacock tank. Black stripes come out more prominently from time to time. Think mine are female or scared males as males colour up yellow, black and true red. They tend to hold their own and occasionally try to nip others only when in close proximity.

Attachments

·
Registered
257 Posts
I had the same with one of my Demasoni a while back. I believe someone said it was either prolapse or egg bound. Good luck sadly I did lose her

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.