Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have received some HRP's from Mike Hellweg and have been trying to breed them but can not seem to get them pas the eggs. Once I got them to I believe first day after yolk sac is used up. What are the parameters for this fish? How hot should I have the tank? How can I tell the male and female apart? etc... Any and all help is needed and appreciated. Jason :-?

·
Registered
161 Posts
1. What are your water parameters?
2. How old are the fish?
3. Are they alone in the tank or do they have other fish to contend with?
4. When they breed the vent tubes will tell the tale about which is m/f. Females tube is broader and more blunt; male's is narrower and more pointed. Dorsal and anal fins on the male are longer more pointed.

If they are young fish they will eventually get it right. They are not hard to breed so you will soon have way more than you can use. If the fish are young and stressed because there is too much activity in/around their tank try reducing some of the stressors. If you have cory cats, plecos, or any number of other bottom feeders chances are good you are losing the eggs/fry to them or because of them. I no longer put any cory's in my breeding tanks for that very reason and don't even own amy plecos.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bruce Haynes said:
1. What are your water parameters?
2. How old are the fish?
3. Are they alone in the tank or do they have other fish to contend with?
4. When they breed the vent tubes will tell the tale about which is m/f. Females tube is broader and more blunt; male's is narrower and more pointed. Dorsal and anal fins on the male are longer more pointed.

If they are young fish they will eventually get it right. They are not hard to breed so you will soon have way more than you can use. If the fish are young and stressed because there is too much activity in/around their tank try reducing some of the stressors. If you have cory cats, plecos, or any number of other bottom feeders chances are good you are losing the eggs/fry to them or because of them. I no longer put any cory's in my breeding tanks for that very reason and don't even own amy plecos.
The fish are about 6-8 months old if not younger. They were alone in the tank but have since been moved to my main display until I get another place for my shrimp. Most of the parameters are unknown as I do not own a test kit for them but the ammonia runs zero the nitrites also. The nitrates run a little high at about 10-15ppm.

·
Registered
117 Posts
the fish are to young to be breeding, you will stress the female and stunt their growth if you allow her to breed now. separate them putting the female back into the breeding tank, feed her really well with live food and lots of water changes then when shes a bit older and bigger put the male back in. do not put the male in the breeding tank first and then add the female as his territory would have been identified as the entire tank so will see the female as an intruder and probably try to kill her.

as for telling the male from the female, its really pretty obvious by just looking at them. as with most cichlids males are larger, more colourful, longer fins that become thread like towards the ends, usually more aggressive, as adulthood comes on a nunchal hump begins to develop.

oh yeah buy yourself a decent test kit, test everything not just Ammonia, NitrIte & NitrAte, we need pH, KH and GH. Also test your tap water both straight from the faucet and after its been stood overnight.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts