Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have 2 bolivian rams. Iv had them for months but still am not 100% sure of their sex. One was purchased at LFS (Ram1) the other was a surprise gift purchased at the gifters LFS (Ram2). Iv studied them and the compared it to what I could find online but am still not totally sure. Maybe you can help?

Here are pictures, Sorry they are not the best quality..... :oops:

Sometimes they are more colorful/or differently colored...most of these pictures were taken today a couple are older though. :)

Iv been told (from someone who was looking at my fish in person) that they are both definitely male, especially Ram2 because of the rays etc. but I'm just not so sure after doing research online...I think I really need some knowledgeable fresh eyes to take a look.

Thanks for reading! :)

*Pictures In Next Post, I have to have 1 Post Before I can Post them*

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ram 1 Seems to be generally less colorful than Ram 2. Also does not have the long rays that Ram2 does and is a little different shape. When I look at ''ventrical differences'' Ram1 is smaller than Ram2 and seems a little pointed back but still looks pretty visible, like a girl....but maybe Ram1 is male...Iv been looking at Ram1 so long it's all getting confusing! :p

Ram2 has VERY LONG rays not slightly extended. It's tube or whatever you call it seems very large....Ram2 seems more colorful and has male features but when I look at the tube I think it's definitely a girl but again...I don't really know!!

·
Registered
694 Posts
Hi Love79,

Both of those are females. You can tell by the large, blunt ovipositor, compared to a smaller, more pointed males (pictured below).

Ed

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you so much!! Thanks for the picture too. That really clears it up for me. It's kind of what I was leaning towards but I keep being told male and I just didn't know.

I have a couple questions, if its ok.

Is there any problem with having 2 females? They seem to be happy, they are really fun fish. They are in a 20 gallon. I know it's small I only planned on having 1 at first...... :( I am working on getting a bigger tank 40-50 gallons but honestly I'm not sure when the upgrade will be because I'm shopping around like on craigslists, yardsales as well as store sales. It will be coming though. Their tank mates are zebra danios along with some shrimp and snails that sometimes move to my other tanks (10g). So it's kinda full in there I guess so I can't really get any more rams.

Even though it's not a huge tank they seem to have each picked one side as their own and the middle I guess is neutral territory lol. When it's feeding time they eat together briefly but Iv also seen them sort of fighting but nothing were they hurt each other and it isn't constant. So I'm thinking they get along ok. When I upgrade I might not get anymore because Iv heard they can fight and hurt/kill other rams who they don't ''pair'' with..Unless I just got another girl when I upgrade..Is there a male to female ration I should follow though? I don't want to have to get rid of either of these fish as Iv grown rather attached to them..........

I do want them to be happy..

BTW: Sorry that was so long!! :oops: It really is basically one question, Is it ok to only have female Bolivian Rams? :roll: LOL

·
Registered
694 Posts
Two females will be okay in a 20g. I've never known a bolivian to kill or hurt anything :lol: As you've observed they can bicker but that's about it. If/when you upgrade, I would get a few more. They're social and do well in a group. Sex ratio isn't overly important, but 2m/4f or 3m/3f would be great. Even only a slight upgrade (such as a 36" x 12", 30g) would be fine for 4-5 bolivians.

Ed

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh ok, that's good! :D I look forward to getting a few more when I upgrade then. Thanks for your help. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts