Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a relatively new tank owner (Nov 2020) and we found a baby fish swimming around our tank. What should I do now? I've seen one but I wouldn't be surprised if there are 2-3.

Should I separate it? Do I feed it something different? What next?! I'm very excited!!!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
40,516 Posts
It looks like your tank is set up for all-male as opposed to breeding. I would do nothing special, once fry survive the first few days they usually survive for their lifetimes. If your tank is stocked with pure fish, you will want to decide what to do with the "baby" but if you have other hybrids you could just enjoy the new fish.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok thank you! I'm just nervous because he is so small in comparison to all the other fish! Don't you think he will get eaten?

I caught him yesterday and tried putting him in a little floating tank but he escaped. I see him hiding around the tank so I know he's fine today.

·
Super Moderator
40,516 Posts
The more you try to catch him or feed him special food, the more you draw the attention of the bigger fish.

Generally, if the fry escape the initial frenzy when it is spit, they tend to survive. Every day of survival adds to his odds.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I've managed to have one Peacock of Three survive in a 36 gallon with four other peacock Cichlids. I bet you might eventually get at least three.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts