Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,676 Posts
Oh my....
Warning! There are possibly more aquarium fish lost to medication over usage, than any other reason. To begin, why did you suspect Ich was afflicting your baby Oscar? In both of the pictures you put up, I see no evidence of the parasite anywhere on that fish.
Plus, Ich-X is a very strong medication that will have some seriously bad effects on your fish if you use Prime or other sulfur-based water conditioners to treat/dechlorinate your tap water. If this has happened, I would recommend that you follow the manufacturers instructions and immediately perform a 50 percent (plus) water change to dilute that medication out of your aquarium water. Plus, temporarily use activated charcoal/carbon to absorb/neutralize the Ich-X as quickly as possible.

Reactions: Oscar6

·
Super Moderator
5,676 Posts
Well....
First off, I'm sorry you lost that one. I hope you get another chance to get a baby Oscar of that type. If that one was a Lutino as described by @Oscar6 , those are pretty cool.
-
So, what have we learned?
  • Do not treat for Ich - unless you see it visibly attacking your fish.
  • Medications can be a mixed bag (of usually bad) tricks. Ich-X is a seriously powerful medication that may have proven to be too strong for that baby Oscar. As warned by the product manufacturer... if you use Seachem Prime to dechlorinate/dechloramine your tap water, Ich-X may (will totally) kill your fish! With Ich treatments, I've found it's safe and actually best to just use aquarium salt. Those medications won't kill the parasite when it's in the encysted stage on the bottom, so they will work almost exactly like salt does anyway to kill the free-swimming Ich parasites.
  • Internal parasites and infections are treated, well, INTERNALLY. That's because fish don't drink water. So, just dosing the water to treat internal problems in your fish will be at the very least, worthless. And most likely, a big waste of possibly expensive medication. So in the future, if you need to treat for an internal parasite or infection? Place the required medication (antibiotics?) in their food, and then feed it to your fish.
-
I'm hoping that 15 gallon aquarium was just a temporary, small 'grow out' tank for that baby Oscar? Those really big, heavy bodied Cichlids aren't legitimately called 'Tank Busters' for nothing! So for long-term keeping, a single adult Oscar should be housed in a six-foot long aquarium. :oops:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts